Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Craig Dickson <cd...@aol.com> on 2004/08/13 22:46:34 UTC

Nested tile definitions w parameters

We have a (pretty common) definition similar to this:

<definition name=".masterLayout"
path="/WEB-INF/jsp/tiles/layouts/master.jsp">
    <put name="header"   value=".navBarHeader"/>
         <put name="content"  value="${content}"/>
         <put name="footer"   value=".standardFooter"/>
</definition>

We then have a definition that extends the first definition, like this:

<definition name=".view.single" extends=".masterLayout">
    <put name="content"  value="/WEB-INF/jsp/view/view.jsp"/>
    <put name="viewPane" value="/WEB-INF/jsp/view/singlePanel.jsp"/>
</definition>

Basically what we are trying to achieve is to use the view.jsp as the
content that gets included by the master.jsp layout page. But the
view.jsp page also has a <tiles:insert attribute="viewPane"/> tag in it
- kind of like a sub-layout situation. We want to include the
singlePanel.jsp page inside the view.jsp page.

When the page renders, we get an error stating that there is no value
for "viewPane" - like it is not getting passed or something.

Are we doing something wrong, or is this "nested tile definitions" use
case outside of Struts current capability?

Thanks