Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rodrigo Lopez <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/04 23:07:11 UTC

Problem in set mac address in vif's

     Hi, today i stumbled upon a problem. when i try to startup my
virtual router the script on xen-api/scripts/vif don't finish his job,
stoping in the line:
     ${IP} link set "${dev}" address "${address}"
     the complete code is:
     # ip link set vif1.0 address fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

     this command don't run fine and return this error: RTNETLINK
answers: Operation not permitted

     in the syslog i have this error: scripts-vif: Failed to ip link set
vif4.1 address fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

     I try run this cod to others interfaces and run perfectly.

     anyone have any ideia to help me?

Re: Problem in set mac address in vif's

Posted by Rafael Weingartner <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Rodrigo Works with me at our university's lab, he was trying to explain a
problem that we ran into, after an O.S upgrade that we did.

First of all I would like to say that I am sorry if I am bothering you
guys, since this is not a problem related to CS per se, but rather a
problem with the underlying structure. However, we know that in CS's dev
and users lists have high skilled and talented programmers and system
administrators, so It is worth a shot to describe our situation here.

The base system installed on the physical hosts is an Ubuntu Server 12.10,
with Xen hypervisor (4.1) packages and XCP (1.6). The CS version that we
have deployed is 4.1.1.

 As Rodrigo described, when we start the virtual router, the CS management
server creates its VM perfectly on the physical hosts. However, it never
presets it as running, it keeps showing state as starting. So, we logged
into the physical host to check out what was happening, we noticed that the
virtual router VM was running however it seemed that it was no responding
to ping. Looking at the syslog, we have found a message like this one:
"Failed to ip link set vif1.0 address fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff".  After the XCP
starts a VM it runs a script called ".../xen-api/scripts/vif", and it seems
that it is not running properly. We looked up at the script the command
that was failing, the command is the following:  "ip link set dev address
macAddress".

We tried to run that command manually "ip link set vif1.0 address
fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:f" and then we got the following error: RTNETLINK answers:
Operation not permitted. (Before, that command we ran "ip link set vif1.0
down"). We have tried to run the same command with some other interfaces
such as eth0, eth1, or even xenbr0, with them the command runs perfectly.

Have anyone seen anything like this before? Does anyone have any ideas how
to work this around?

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Problem in set mac address in vif's