Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/24 17:32:47 UTC

FYI, bundles of jar specifications

I've began to change the geronimo versions of the spec jars to be OSGi bundles.
See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/
I think it will be easier for OSGi users than relying on some
unreleased pom in felix commons.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: FYI, bundles of jar specifications

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> On 24/09/2007, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
>
>> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> I've began to change the geronimo versions of the spec jars to be OSGi
>>>
>> bundles.
>>
>>> See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/
>>> I think it will be easier for OSGi users than relying on some
>>> unreleased pom in felix commons.
>>>
>> There is no problem with using the OSGi JARs for the spec and the
>> compendium...no one is forced to use the Felix ones. However, when
>>

> I think Guillaume meant the Geronimo spec jars, not the OSGi specs :)

Yes, I see that now. :-)

> Geronimo now provides OSGi bundles of spec jars such as JTA - which is great
> news!

This is definitely excellent...we'd be more than happy if all open
source projects put Felix Commons out of business! ;-)

-> richard

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: FYI, bundles of jar specifications

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I was talking about all j2ee related specification (jms, servlet, etc...)

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2007, at 10:35 , Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Peter Kriens wrote:
>>> Great! How do we get other projects to do the same thing!
>>>
>> Perhaps we can at least persuade some projects if we keep the barrier as
>> low as possible. Although specifying the bundle plugin and the meta data
>> in a pom is not that much extra work, still it has to be done.
>>
>> So perhaps if we make patches for the pom and send them to the various
>> projects?
>
> That's a good idea. Also, I think it would make sense to create some
> documentation for projects that want to do this. Briefly explain what
> OSGi is, why it's important to support it in this way, provide some
> examples, etc.

That's GREAT!!!

Re: FYI, bundles of jar specifications

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Peter Kriens wrote:
> Great! How do we get other projects to do the same thing!

Perhaps we can at least persuade some projects if we keep the barrier as
low as possible. Although specifying the bundle plugin and the meta data
in a pom is not that much extra work, still it has to be done.

So perhaps if we make patches for the pom and send them to the various
projects?

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: FYI, bundles of jar specifications

Posted by Peter Kriens <Pe...@aQute.biz>.
GN> I've began to change the geronimo versions of the spec jars to be OSGi bundles.
GN> See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/
GN> I think it will be easier for OSGi users than relying on some
GN> unreleased pom in felix commons.
Great! How do we get other projects to do the same thing!

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens