Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Vadim Kimlaychuk <Va...@Elion.ee> on 2014/11/19 09:09:28 UTC

VmWare -- VLAN number limit

Hello all,

            I saw the table in CS docs with limits of VLANs number depending on hypervisor. I can roughly remember that XenServer and KVM can use entire range of 0-4096, but VmWare (or vCenter) can address less. Can’t find this information anymore.

            People who use VmWare and vCenter – does this limit still exist? Or this is not the case anymore?

Thank you,

Vadim

Re: VmWare -- VLAN number limit

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I'm not aware of any limits imposed by CloudStack.  However you
should be careful since at least one VLAN ID is reserved for special
purposes in vSphere.  Specifically VLAN 4095 enables VGT mode for the VM
NICs, which has serious security implications.  I haven't tried using
this in recent versions of CloudStack, but older versions do allow it.

Best regards,
Kirk