Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vicky <vi...@yahoo.co.in> on 2015/10/17 08:27:17 UTC

TCP connection vs Tomcat threads vs File Descriptors - please help

Hi All,
can someone please help in understand  that how TCP connections are interlinked with the no. ofFile Descriptors & no of threads configured over a machine .
Setup details :OD - Centos 6Tomcat7Java 7
Recently i have faced an problem in while my application was having +20k TCP connections in TIME-WAIT state resulting in choking my application though no consumed threads & Files descriptors are pretty less than threshold.
1) I would like to understand that is there any limit that how many TCP connections a machine can open , IF YES then how to tune it .
2) Second query   , my understanding was every TCP connection will open one file  descriptor but in my currentsituation only 900 FD were used whereas the TCP_WAIT connections where +20K .Kindly suggest how do i comprehend this . How these are interlinked
3) If i configure 600 threads in server.xml for my HTTP connector & if i'm running that machine over 8 core cpu does that mean simultaneously 600 X 8 (cpu core) =4800 threads will be served by my tomcat ?

TCP connection vs Tomcat threads vs File Descriptors - please help