Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Keith Whyte <ke...@media-solutions.ie> on 2005/01/04 03:28:43 UTC

what the hell is sha1_hex.al ??

I've seen a few requests for help on this, but no answers:
nothing comes up on google.

I'd had perl 5.6.0 on a system and yesterday I upgraded to 5.8.6 in
order to install SA 3.0.2

make test fails horribly
with:
Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Digest::SHA1::sha1_hex() is
deprecated at ../blib/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Bayes.pm line 987.
and
Can't locate auto/Digest/SHA1/sha1_hex.al in @INC

now I checked another system with perl 5.6.1 that i had upgraded to SA
3.0.2 and there is no file sha1_hex.al there either.

what is this wierdness? any clues appreciated.
or is SA 3.0.0 simply broken with perl 5.8.6?

thanks,

Keith.

Re: what the hell is sha1_hex.al ??

Posted by Keith Whyte <ke...@media-solutions.ie>.
Richard Ozer wrote:

> I have sa 3.0.2 and perl 5.8.6 running happily on six different
> servers right now.

That is good news.

> After installing 5.8.6, you need to make sure that your cpan module
> installations and Makefile commands are being done under 5.8.6.
> Unless you explicitly removed the earlier version of Perl, you risk
> calling the older executable.  I found that my 5.6 perl lived in
> /usr/bin and my 5.8 perl lived in /usr/local/bin.

yes, i noticed that the first thing that happened when I installed 5.8
was that running perl apps started complaining. my running mimedefang
bailed with an error. I just went about re-installing the modules that
were giving errors from CPAN.
This fixed the problem. The error was quite self-explanitory:
Jan  3 03:54:40 raid mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 3 stderr:
Digest::SHA1 object version 2.01 does
not match bootstrap parameter 2.07 at
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 253.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl line 62.
BEGIN failed--compilation
aborted at /usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl line 62.

Under slackware 7.1, the perl binaries are installed under /usr,
although perl's default is to install under /usr/local.
(What I usually do when upgrading something installed with slackware, is
to try to follow as much as possible what was done for the building of
the original package. - from the SlackBuild files in the source tree of
the distro, or in this case the file was called perl.build
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-7.1/patches/source/perl/
- but i wander seriously off-topic.  This might be useful to somebody
else needing to upgrade from 5.6.0 on Slackware 7.1)

> I kept both versions during testing, and called cpan explicitly by
> running /usr/local/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell.

Right, well I made sure to overwrite the old perl. But I have a feeling
that this problem is due to something under /usr/lib/perl that is not
right.

Re: what the hell is sha1_hex.al ??

Posted by Richard Ozer <ro...@ois-online.com>.
I have sa 3.0.2 and perl 5.8.6 running happily on six different servers right now.

After installing 5.8.6, you need to make sure that your cpan module installations and
Makefile commands are being done under 5.8.6.  Unless you explicitly removed the earlier
version of Perl, you risk calling the older executable.  I found that my 5.6 perl lived
in /usr/bin and my 5.8 perl lived in /usr/local/bin.

I kept both versions during testing, and called cpan explicitly by running
/usr/local/bin/perl -MCPAN -e shell.

Likewise, if I needed to configure a make file, I called perl explicitly by typing
/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL.

For spamassassin, I found that installing 3.0.2 via cpan worked the best.

RO

Posted by Keith Whyte <ke...@media-solutions.ie>.

Posted by Louis LeBlanc <sp...@keyslapper.org>.
On 01/03/05 08:28 PM, Keith Whyte sat at the `puter and typed:
> I've seen a few requests for help on this, but no answers:
> nothing comes up on google.
>
> I'd had perl 5.6.0 on a system and yesterday I upgraded to 5.8.6 in
> order to install SA 3.0.2
>
> make test fails horribly
> with:
> Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Digest::SHA1::sha1_hex() is
> deprecated at ../blib/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Bayes.pm line 987.
> and
> Can't locate auto/Digest/SHA1/sha1_hex.al in @INC
>
> now I checked another system with perl 5.6.1 that i had upgraded to SA
> 3.0.2 and there is no file sha1_hex.al there either.
>
> what is this wierdness? any clues appreciated.
> or is SA 3.0.0 simply broken with perl 5.8.6?

Digest::SHA1 would be a perl module - related to cryptography.
Digest::SHA1::sha1_hex() would be a routine or method within that
module.

If you were on FreeBSD you'd simply install the p5-Digest-SHA1 port,
which would get all it's dependencies.

If you're running Linux, you might have to get the RPM for
Digest::SHA1, and it's dependency RPMs and install them however it's
done with Linux these days.

Good luck.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc          spamassassin@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

innovate, v.:
  To annoy people.

Re: what the hell is sha1_hex.al ??

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Keith

This *could* be as a result of syntax changes in the rules. I guess the
make test could be looking in /etc/mail/spamassassin for local rules and
reading the the 'old' 2.6 format. You don't say if you've already got an
existing SA installation on that machine.

I have noticed that SA 3.x will barf will a horrible perl error if the
rules syntax is wrong, rather than giving a usable error message as 2.x
did. Maybe this is the issue..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Keith Whyte wrote:
> I've seen a few requests for help on this, but no answers:
> nothing comes up on google.
>
> I'd had perl 5.6.0 on a system and yesterday I upgraded to 5.8.6 in
> order to install SA 3.0.2
>
> make test fails horribly
> with:
> Use of inherited AUTOLOAD for non-method Digest::SHA1::sha1_hex() is
> deprecated at ../blib/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Bayes.pm line 987.
> and
> Can't locate auto/Digest/SHA1/sha1_hex.al in @INC
>
> now I checked another system with perl 5.6.1 that i had upgraded to SA
> 3.0.2 and there is no file sha1_hex.al there either.
>
> what is this wierdness? any clues appreciated.
> or is SA 3.0.0 simply broken with perl 5.8.6?
>
> thanks,
>
> Keith.

the system manager.