Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org> on 2018/10/19 09:53:41 UTC

Proposal - host javadocs of recent versions too

Hi All

As many of you will know, we have javadocs on the website, but these
correspond to the latest (typically unreleased) code. Javadocs for a
specific release are shipped in the binary package, and as a javadoc jar
via Maven central (eg for IDE use). Based on stackoverflow posts though,
this approach can sometimes cause new user confusion.

What I'd propose is that we host additionally the javadocs of the last few
main releases, so people can easily look up the javadocs of the version
they're using, without needing to re-find a past download / download
something else.

The immediate change would be:
  * Everything at https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/ gets pushed to
    https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/dev/
  * A new page at https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/ which says which
    versions you can see javadocs for online, and instructions on getting
    older ones from the released files
  * Redirects for as much as possible from https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/
    to https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/dev/ to avoid breaking links
  * Tweaks to the site build ant file to support the changes

Then, and this is the bit which could use some more feedback:
  * /apidocs/40/ for the latest 4.0.x release (eg when we do 4.0.1 we
    replace them)
  * /apidocs/317/ for 3.17 final
  * /apidocs/316/ for 3.16 final
  * No betas, nothing older than 3.16
  * Using 40 not 4.0 nor 4.0.x
  * Using 317 not 3.17

On these last parts especially, what do people think?

Nick

Re: Proposal - host javadocs of recent versions too

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Thanks a lot Nick! That should avoid some confusion when we reference
JavaDocs in support-mails and StackOverflow.

There are currently around 100 warnings, I'll try to bring that down
somewhat in the coming days, it's mostly HTML violations and missing
@param/@return/@throws.

Dominik.

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.