Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by karen baker <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2000/11/30 12:13:03 UTC

SOAP Response format queries

Hi,

I am using the Apache SOAP with RPCRouterServlet for the server-side and
Microsoft toolkit on the client side. I have my code up and running, and
have two queries regarding the response format received from Apache SOAP.

1.	How can I keep the namespace identifier from the request in the response
e.g.

Request:

…
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<m:getAddressFromName xmlns:m="urn:AddressFetcher"
…
</m:getAddressFromName>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
…

Expected Response:

…
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<m:getAddressFromNameResponse xmlns:m="urn:AddressFetcher"
…
</m:getAddressFromNameResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
…

Apache Response:

…
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:getAddressFromNameResponse xmlns:ns1="urn:AddressFetcher"
…
</ns1:getAddressFromNameResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
…

2.	Why is the response wrapped into the “return” element.  Do I need to
write my own version on RPCRouterServlet to not use “return”?  I have taken
a look at the source code, and it does not seem to be a simple procedure to
change the response layout.  Surely this reduces the flexibility of Apache
soap by forcing responses to be in this format.  I show the problem in the
example below:

Expected Response:

…
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:getAddressFromNameResponse xmlns:ns1="urn:AddressFetcher"
<phoneNumber xsi:type="ns2:phone">
…
</ns1:getAddressFromNameResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
…

Apache Response:

…
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<ns1:getAddressFromNameResponse xmlns:ns1="urn:AddressFetcher"
<return xmlns:ns2="urn:xml-soap-address-demo" xsi:type="ns2:address">
<phoneNumber xsi:type="ns2:phone">
…
</return>
</ns1:getAddressFromNameResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
…

Any help much appreciated.

Jo

RE: SOAP Response format queries

Posted by Gus Delgado <gu...@netquotient.com>.
Karen,
How do you create the client (what language did you used), I'm assuming you
used java for the server-side. can you show me what you pass across? is it
an Element class?

thanks
Gus Delgado
Consultant