Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Girish Patil <gi...@hotmail.com> on 2002/05/06 20:33:55 UTC

SSL and Xpath tags.

Hi All,
I would like to know if we have tags available to do the following

1.nonSSl-to-SSl switch.
2.Tag to take an xpath expression and a node and return the value.

1.I guess many of us have the requirement that a certain portion of the site
should be secured versus the rest. To do this switching either we need to
hardcode the value or use some sort of custom tag that takes in a bunch of
parameter such as port number, ssl domain name and spit out
url inside the form tag.I was wondering if we already have one or creating
one such general tag was of any value ?

2.Secondly,I was wondering if instead of using XSL, one could achieve the
same using JSP, beans and an XPath tag.
Basically what we would do is something like this

  <input type="textbox" name="authorname" value=<xtag:value
node="<%=bean.getNode()%>" xpathExp="/doc/author[@authorname]"/>>

The idea being that we would still remain in the familiar JSP programming
pattern,using java for() loops and stuff and still be open to convert this
to XSL implementation in the future.I guess I could use XSL tags from the
taglibrary, but that mandates me into writing a style sheet( which i
currently am not comfortable with :( ).This also seems to be one way (from
servlet to view), if i need to populate the values back to the node, i guess
I have to go back to request.getParameter() inside the servelt or the same
bean , get a handle to the node( from the DOM probabaly in session) and
update it.

Looks like I have not been thinking much here..sorry.Please advice.

Girish

Re: SSL and Xpath tags.

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
I'm not clear from your explanation what you mean by (1), but JSTL 1.0 has
a rich set of tags to support (2) (inspired by the XTags library in
Jakarta Taglibs).

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com