Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Bowden Wise <wi...@acm.org> on 2012/12/18 19:59:09 UTC

Lock Errors within JBoss Environment

Hello,

I have been getting the following lock error when attempting to open an
index writer to add new documents to an index.

org.apache.lucene.store.LockObtainFailedException
Lock obtain timed out:
NativeFSLock@/opt/shared/data/CTXTMNG/PAC_INDEX/lucene/aero/prod/index/write.lock

Our ingest/index update process is started via a Quartz scheduler process
that runs daily; the Quartz scheduler is built into the JBoss
server that the application is installed in. I have seen the related posts
with respect to the NFS file system. However,
I have tested the same code outside of JBoss on the same file system and do
not see the error appear. So I suspect
that this is not an NFS issue but something particular to the JBoss
environment or JVM, etc.

Has anyone run a Lucene index update process using Quartz and JBoss? Any
words of wisdom or best practices?

Could this be the NFS issue but it manifests itself under JBoss but not
when running outside?

Lucene version 3.0.1
JBoss 4.3.0
Java 1.6
Sun OS 5.10
Quartz Scheduler V.1.5.2

Any thoughts appreciated!
Bowden

Re: Lock Errors within JBoss Environment

Posted by Bowden Wise <wi...@acm.org>.
Ian, I did see the warnings against using the NativeFSLockFactory on NFS.
I know the the volume is mounted, but I am not sure it is NFS. If I run my
indexing process outside of JBoss I do not see the lock errors, which made
me think it was not using NFS. But I am not sure.

If I don't use NativeFSLockFactory, how does one do "lock-less" commits on
NFS?

Thanks
Bowden

Posted by Bowden Wise <wi...@acm.org>.
Hi Andrew

I am using Spring to define my Quartz job's and triggers. I use
org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.MethodInvokingJobDetailFactoryBean to
specify the targetobject and targetmethod of another java object that is
executed when the tirgger occurs. Since we are using JBoss, the scheduler
is created via JBoss.

Some questions:
- Once a job completes, is it garbage collected? I have been doing
debugging so have a trigger every hour (normally would be once a day). Upon
subsquent invocations, my debug log shows the same object being used, which
makes me wonder if the job is not getting terminated or cleaned up. How
long until a job goes 'orphan' ?
- Is there a way to get a reference to the JBoss quarttz scheduler from my
code to add job listeners or to see what jobs there are?

Thanks
Bowden

Posted by Andrew Hecox <ah...@redhat.com>.
$ mount