Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2010/11/04 00:22:30 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0

This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because...

Ralph

tag: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/tags/commons-vfs-project-2.0/

site: http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/index.html

The following artifacts have been staged to the Apache Nexus Staging repository org.apache.commons-028 (u:rgoers, a:38.101.196.246).

commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.zip
commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.tar.gz
commons-vfs-project-2.0-source-release.zip.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.tar.gz.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0.pom
commons-vfs-project-2.0-site.xml
commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.zip
commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.zip.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0-source-release.zip
commons-vfs-project-2.0-site.xml.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.tar.gz.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0.pom.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.zip.asc
commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.tar.gz
commons-vfs-2.0.pom.asc
commons-vfs-2.0-tests.jar.asc
commons-vfs-2.0-sources.jar
commons-vfs-2.0-sources.jar.asc
commons-vfs-2.0.jar
commons-vfs-2.0.jar.asc
commons-vfs-2.0.pom
commons-vfs-2.0-javadoc.jar.asc
commons-vfs-2.0-tests.jar
commons-vfs-2.0-javadoc.jar
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-sources.jar
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-sources.jar.asc
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-javadoc.jar
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.jar.asc
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.pom
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.jar
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.pom.asc
commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-javadoc.jar.asc
commons-vfs-examples-2.0-javadoc.jar.asc
commons-vfs-examples-2.0-javadoc.jar
commons-vfs-examples-2.0-sources.jar.asc
commons-vfs-examples-2.0-sources.jar
commons-vfs-examples-2.0.jar.asc
commons-vfs-examples-2.0.pom
commons-vfs-examples-2.0.jar
commons-vfs-examples-2.0.pom.asc

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>>
>> [ ] +1 release it
>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Minor nitpicks:
>
> 1/ commons-vfs-parent.pom declares own snapshot repositories. Is it still
> necessary? Such declarations are not recommended by Maven folks anyway.
> 2/ commons-vfs.pom contains a comment that the TestSuites are not
> executed. This is no longer true for the version of the used surefire
> plugin.
> 3/ http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/download.html:
> Something went wrong with the table.
> 4/ This page recommends also Maven 2.1.0 to build although this version is
> considered as broken. Either recommend 2.0.11 (building with JDK 1.4) or
> >= 2.2.1.
> 5/ The table on this page lists httpclient 2.0, but we use 3.0. Bascially
> we could also provide links to the generated dependency pages of the
> submodules.

The page also contains a link to "nightly builds" with 3 year old artifacts.

> 6/ The dependency report of the core module declares httpclient as
> required. The dependency report of the sandbox declares the core vfs as
> required, but httpclient as optional. Either it's optional in core or
> required in the sandbox.
> 7/ New FTPS support is not even mentioned on
> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/filesystems.html as
> enhancement of FTP provider (see VFS-264).
> 8/ The same page lists mime FS twice (as supported FS and available from
> sandbox, while CIFS support is listed only once). Both should be handled
> the same.
> 9/ http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/3rdparty.html lists loopy
> as external plugin. While it is not clear that it still works with VFS
> 2.0, there are more providers listed in the Wiki (icnl. Loopy):
> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/VFS. Maybe it is better to drop the page
> completely, create an own section in the Wiki for 3rd party plugins and
> have a link to this Wiki page from
> http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons- vfs/filesystems.html.

The news paragraph in commons-vfs home is outdated.

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Jörg Schaible wrote:

[snip]

> A test building vfs from the source tarballs with my compiler zoo will
> follow.

Cannot do this anymore, files no longer available.

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons VFS 2.0

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Ralph,

Ralph Goers wrote:

> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...

Minor nitpicks:

1/ commons-vfs-parent.pom declares own snapshot repositories. Is it still
necessary? Such declarations are not recommended by Maven folks anyway.
2/ commons-vfs.pom contains a comment that the TestSuites are not executed.
This is no longer true for the version of the used surefire plugin.
3/ http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/download.html: Something
went wrong with the table.
4/ This page recommends also Maven 2.1.0 to build although this version is
considered as broken. Either recommend 2.0.11 (building with JDK 1.4) or >=
2.2.1.
5/ The table on this page lists httpclient 2.0, but we use 3.0. Bascially we
could also provide links to the generated dependency pages of the
submodules.
6/ The dependency report of the core module declares httpclient as required.
The dependency report of the sandbox declares the core vfs as required, but
httpclient as optional. Either it's optional in core or required in the
sandbox.
7/ New FTPS support is not even mentioned on
http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/filesystems.html as enhancement
of FTP provider (see VFS-264).
8/ The same page lists mime FS twice (as supported FS and available from
sandbox, while CIFS support is listed only once). Both should be handled the
same.
9/ http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/3rdparty.html lists loopy as
external plugin. While it is not clear that it still works with VFS 2.0,
there are more providers listed in the Wiki (icnl. Loopy):
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/VFS. Maybe it is better to drop the page
completely, create an own section in the Wiki for 3rd party plugins and have
a link to this Wiki page from http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-
vfs/filesystems.html.

Posted by Ronan KERDUDOU - VirageGroup <rk...@viragegroup.com>.
"+1 release it"
I don't like using a build named "commons-vfs-20070611.jar" because no
official release exists...

Also, if VFS2 isn't backward compatible and lists all changes to make during
upgrade, we should consider patching FileContentInputStream to return false
in method markSupported()
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-301

And no problem for me if you change the package or not
and no problem if you're going to java 6.

Regards,

KERDUDOU Ronan
VIRAGE Group (France)
R&D : +33 (0)2�53�55 10 22
rk@viragegroup.com
www.viragegroup.com

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
I think I'll add another standard descriptor to the default bundle,
and then projects can opt for the tar.gz simply by setting a property.
I'm hesitant to start causing all projects to generate two copies of
the source archives by default, since many of them seem happy with
just a zip.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@schmiedehausen.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

On Nov 4, 2010, at 7:33 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 04/11/2010 14:21, Brian Fox wrote:
>>> How about users that want to work with sources on platforms where CRLF
>>> endings are a PITA?
>>
>> Simply tar.gz'ing the files changes the line endings?
>
> No. Tomcat's build processes are more sophisticated than that. Files in
> the -src.zip have CRLF endings, files in the -src.tar.gz have LF endings.

Last I checked, Maven did the same thing.  Could be that has since been broken.  Will check this...

Phil

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 November 2010 17:05, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 12:59, Brian Fox wrote:
>> So I wonder why a tar.gz sourceball is needed and is it worth it to
>> diverge just for that.
>
> How about users that want to work with sources on platforms where CRLF
> endings are a PITA?
>
> Tomcat distributes sources in .zip and .tar.gz versions for exactly this
> reason.

Also, if there were no tgz source, then a Unix user would need to
download tgz binary and zip source.
Potentially confusing.

Tar.gz also tends to provide better compression.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 3 November 2010 23:22, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because...
>
> Ralph
>
> tag: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/tags/commons-vfs-project-2.0/

core/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs/provider/tar/test/LargeTarTestCase.java

does not have an AL header (nor does it have svn:eol-style native)

> site: http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/index.html
>
> The following artifacts have been staged to the Apache Nexus Staging repository org.apache.commons-028 (u:rgoers, a:38.101.196.246).
>
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.zip
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.tar.gz
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-source-release.zip.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.tar.gz.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0.pom
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-site.xml
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.zip
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.zip.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-source-release.zip
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-site.xml.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-src.tar.gz.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0.pom.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.zip.asc
> commons-vfs-project-2.0-bin.tar.gz
> commons-vfs-2.0.pom.asc
> commons-vfs-2.0-tests.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-2.0-sources.jar
> commons-vfs-2.0-sources.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-2.0.jar
> commons-vfs-2.0.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-2.0.pom
> commons-vfs-2.0-javadoc.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-2.0-tests.jar
> commons-vfs-2.0-javadoc.jar
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-sources.jar
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-sources.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-javadoc.jar
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.pom
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.jar
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0.pom.asc
> commons-vfs-sandbox-2.0-javadoc.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0-javadoc.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0-javadoc.jar
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0-sources.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0-sources.jar
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0.jar.asc
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0.pom
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0.jar
> commons-vfs-examples-2.0.pom.asc

-1 The non-Maven binary archives are empty apart from N&L files

-1 There does not appear to be a tar.gz version of
commons-vfs-project-2.0-source-release.zip

Not a blocker, but should be fixed:
* The DOAP file should not be in the source archive(s).
* The javadoc jars don't have NOTICE and LICENSE files.