Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2014/03/01 00:39:25 UTC

System Administration Team issues (forum, wiki)

We have issues with our system administration team, the "VM Team" taking
care of the forum and wiki machines. A few days ago, incompatible
interpretations of the system administration process emerged and led to
personal discussions not yet concluded. Details really don't matter so
much to me, but I can say that the discussion was about an unauthorized
package upgrade (on one hand, this breaks the agreed policy; on the
other hand, this was harmless).

I still do hope that things can be reconciled through a personal,
private or public discussion, especially considering that no damage was
done and that I trust both people involved.

However, as a result of the ongoing discussion, and pending its
resolution, both Forum and Wiki are not actively maintained at the
moment. So expect delays in the related issues. Emergency maintenance
(service/machine restart) is still possible: all team members, including
me, still have all privileges for those emergency operations.

Needless to say, if the conclusion is that incompatibilities cannot be
solved, we'll need to make changes to the team. And find a solution that
can last longer, since I wish we had only constructive discussions on
this topic until at least the end of 2014.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: System Administration Team issues (forum, wiki)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/03/2014 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> tomorrow, Sunday, the wiki will be
> very briefly offline for minor maintenance

This is now done. The downtime was only a few minutes. We are now
running the latest Mediawiki 1.22.4, which fixes a couple of important
bugs. Many thanks to Jan for giving guidance before and during the
upgrade process. Should you notice anything strange, please report it here.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 01/03/2014 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> both Forum and Wiki are not actively maintained at the
> moment. So expect delays in the related issues. Emergency maintenance
> (service/machine restart) is still possible: all team members, including
> me, still have all privileges for those emergency operations.

This has now been addressed by enlarging the set of people who have full
access to the virtual machines. Now both Andrew Rist and me have full
access too.

In the short term, this will allow the team to take care of some
maintenance activities (for example: tomorrow, Sunday, the wiki will be
very briefly offline for minor maintenance).

In the long term, I expect we'll bring maintenance closer to the Apache
Infra standards and processes, so that we can guarantee better continuity.

Regards,
   Andrea.