Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com> on 2005/11/29 00:17:52 UTC

Turbine/Fulcrum Intake untangling

Hi  all,

I have finished untangling the circular dependency between Turbine
and Fulcrum Intake.  The unit tests all pass, and hopefully the next
Gump run will be perfectly clean.  Check this page: http://
vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/ and http://
vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-2/jakarta-turbine-2/
index.html for more info!

What I have done:
1) Deprecated the following Turbine services: Upload, Parser, and Intake
2) Update Fulcrum Parser to match the Turbine Parser interface
3) Updated Turbine to use all the Fulcrum components
4) Tweak configurations for unit tests so they all pass.
5) Updated Gump metadata.

If this all looks good, and doesn't cause an outcry, I'd like to call
for:
1) A vote on release Fulcrum Intake and Parser.
2) Release the next milestone of Turbine 2.4.

The 64 thousand dollar question, which I haven't gotten a lot of
feedback either way on:  Do I delete all the Turbine deprecated
services?  I lean towards yes because many of these services are
internal to Turbine and they are basically doubling the size of the
Turbine code-base and dependency lists.

Eric Pugh

Re: Turbine/Fulcrum Intake untangling

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Eric,

see my comments below ...

Siegfried Goeschl

Eric Pugh wrote:
> Hi  all,
>
> I have finished untangling the circular dependency between Turbine  and
> Fulcrum Intake.  The unit tests all pass, and hopefully the next  Gump
> run will be perfectly clean.  Check this page: http://
> vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/ and http://
> vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-2/jakarta-turbine-2/
> index.html for more info!
>
> What I have done:
> 1) Deprecated the following Turbine services: Upload, Parser, and Intake
> 2) Update Fulcrum Parser to match the Turbine Parser interface
> 3) Updated Turbine to use all the Fulcrum components
> 4) Tweak configurations for unit tests so they all pass.
> 5) Updated Gump metadata.
>
> If this all looks good, and doesn't cause an outcry, I'd like to call  for:
> 1) A vote on release Fulcrum Intake and Parser.
> 2) Release the next milestone of Turbine 2.4.

Well, we should also release a Fulcrum version before tackling Turbine.

> The 64 thousand dollar question, which I haven't gotten a lot of
> feedback either way on:  Do I delete all the Turbine deprecated
> services?  I lean towards yes because many of these services are
> internal to Turbine and they are basically doubling the size of the
> Turbine code-base and dependency lists.

+1

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
Hi all,

Comments below:-

Eric Pugh wrote:
> Hi  all,
>
> I have finished untangling the circular dependency between Turbine  and
> Fulcrum Intake.  The unit tests all pass, and hopefully the next  Gump
> run will be perfectly clean.  Check this page: http://
> vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/ and http://
> vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-turbine-2/jakarta-turbine-2/
> index.html for more info!
>
> What I have done:
> 1) Deprecated the following Turbine services: Upload, Parser, and Intake
> 2) Update Fulcrum Parser to match the Turbine Parser interface
> 3) Updated Turbine to use all the Fulcrum components
> 4) Tweak configurations for unit tests so they all pass.
> 5) Updated Gump metadata.
>
> If this all looks good, and doesn't cause an outcry, I'd like to call  for:
> 1) A vote on release Fulcrum Intake and Parser.
+1
> 2) Release the next milestone of Turbine 2.4.
+1

> The 64 thousand dollar question, which I haven't gotten a lot of
> feedback either way on:  Do I delete all the Turbine deprecated
> services?  I lean towards yes because many of these services are
> internal to Turbine and they are basically doubling the size of the
> Turbine code-base and dependency lists.
Agreed.

Peter