Posted to kato-dev@incubator.apache.org by Stuart Monteith <st...@stoo.me.uk> on 2011/06/02 09:37:12 UTC

June 2011 incubator report

Hello,
	It is that time for our quarterly status report. In the past quarter
Steve posted that there had been discussions with Oracle regarding
JSR-326 and this project, but so far nothing conclusive has occurred.
There was an indication that Oracle was going to say something, but
nothing came of that within this reporting period.

Steve - can you update us with the current situation with Oracle - have
you gotten any conclusions from them? And your views on the continuation
of this project?

I've not written a status report yet, but I'll do so in time for next
Wednesday.

Regards,
	Stuart

P.S. The previous report said:

Kato

Kato was accepted into the Incubator on 6 November 2008.

Kato is a project to develop the Specification, Reference
Implementation, and TCK for JSR 326: the JVM Post-mortem Diagnostics API.

Recent Activity:

* While Oracle has expressed a continued interest in the JSR-326, there
has been no change in the podling's status since the last report in June.
* As in June, the project is effectively paused until Oracle's
involvement in the Kato podling has been clarified. The credibility of
the standard relies on there being more than one major Java VM vendor
involved.

The following is planned for next reporting period:

* To be determined once Oracle's involvement has been established.

Before this project can graduate we need to encourage more participation
in the project and grow the community.

Signed off by mentor:

Re: June 2011 incubator report

Posted by Stuart Monteith <st...@stoo.me.uk>.
Hello,
	I've updated the report for Kato this quarter. Please review and let me
know if there are any inaccuracies.

The report is:

Kato

   Kato was accepted into the Incubator on 6 November 2008.

   Kato is a project to develop the Specification, Reference
Implementation, and TCK for JSR 326: the JVM Post-mortem Diagnostics API.

   Recent Activity:

   * There had been some discussion with Oracle regarding the future of
JSR-326 in May this year, a definitive statement is expected from them
in July.
   * The question has been raised as to the future of JSR-326 and the
Apache Kato podling, the options being to keep both or continue only
with one of them.

   The following is planned for next reporting period:

   * Decide in what form the podling should continue, if at all.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Stuart Monteith <st...@stoo.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>        It is that time for our quarterly status report. In the past quarter
>> Steve posted that there had been discussions with Oracle regarding JSR-326
>> and this project, but so far nothing conclusive has occurred. There was an
>> indication that Oracle was going to say something, but nothing came of that
>> within this reporting period.
>>
>> Steve - can you update us with the current situation with Oracle - have you
>> gotten any conclusions from them? And your views on the continuation of this
>> project?
>>

> Status is :
>
> 10:   Bug Oracle execs
> 20:   They say "please wait"
> 30:    sleep (n days)
> 40:   goto 10
>
> To be fair "n" is falling and It's not like Oracle have said no. Currently
> the loop doesn't seem to have an exit though.   My best guess is that "n" is
> now looking to be about 60 days before we get a definite answer.

These things sometimes take time...

> I say we make this the last go round.   I will talk within IBM about the
> future of JSR 326 without Oracle's support.  If IBM still wants to continue
> the JSR then great - otherwise, assuming that they want to continue funding
> developers, we work out a smaller development plan that takes Kato to
> graduation.  ( We've got some great stuff but its all alpha level.)

I've review the report and it seems fair. Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Robert

Re: June 2011 incubator report

Posted by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com>.

--