Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@superconnect.net> on 2003/01/09 18:42:49 UTC

Head's up on potential Rivet problems with the Apple Safari web browser

Hey Gang,

My Rivet app broke when trying to use it with Safari, Apple's new web
browser.  Cookies weren't getting set properly.

I examined the cookies in Safari, and their path was "/index.rvt"
instead of "/".  The cookie sets did not have an explicit path.

Examining cookies in Mozilla, their path was "/".

I changed my app to, wherever it did a cookie set, to add a "-path /"
and it fixed the app in Safari.

I don't know if you should consider changing "cookie set" to have a
default path, changing it to require a path, adding a note to the
documentation or waiting for Apple to sort it out... up to you.

Karl

Re: Head's up on potential Rivet problems with the Apple Safari web browser

Posted by David Brancato <Da...@Brancato.com>.
> > My Rivet app broke when trying to use it with Safari, Apple's new
> > web browser.  Cookies weren't getting set properly.
>
> > I examined the cookies in Safari, and their path was "/index.rvt"
> > instead of "/".  The cookie sets did not have an explicit path.
>
> > Examining cookies in Mozilla, their path was "/".
>
> > I changed my app to, wherever it did a cookie set, to add a "-path
> > /" and it fixed the app in Safari.
>
> > I don't know if you should consider changing "cookie set" to have a
> > default path, changing it to require a path, adding a note to the
> > documentation or waiting for Apple to sort it out... up to you.
>
> Hrm... having a default of / is probably the best thing.  I will
> implement this unless someone has strong feelings.

I say just because some beta software is messed up doesn't mean Rivet should
be messed up to match. Scripters should have confidence that if they do not
set a cookie path, a cookie path is not sent. If Safari is incorrectly
handling cookies then it is incompliant and needs to be fixed.

- David Brancato

Re: Head's up on potential Rivet problems with the Apple Safari web browser

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@superconnect.net> writes:

> My Rivet app broke when trying to use it with Safari, Apple's new
> web browser.  Cookies weren't getting set properly.

> I examined the cookies in Safari, and their path was "/index.rvt"
> instead of "/".  The cookie sets did not have an explicit path.

> Examining cookies in Mozilla, their path was "/".

> I changed my app to, wherever it did a cookie set, to add a "-path
> /" and it fixed the app in Safari.

> I don't know if you should consider changing "cookie set" to have a
> default path, changing it to require a path, adding a note to the
> documentation or waiting for Apple to sort it out... up to you.

Hrm... having a default of / is probably the best thing.  I will
implement this unless someone has strong feelings.

David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/