Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/23 18:32:48 UTC

[VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1

Tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/

Release:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/

Maven:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1070

Site:
http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.3-rc1/

Release notes:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours (26-Dec 17:30 GMT)

[ ] +1 Release this
[ ] +0 Ok, but...
[ ] -0  Really should fix...
[ ] -1 We should not release this RC

Thanks!

Phil

[CANCELLED] [VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
There is a unit test that fails on Windows.  This needs to be fixed.

Phil

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/2014 06:32 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/
>
> Release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
>
> Maven:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1070
>
> Site:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.3-rc1/
>
> Release notes:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours (26-Dec 17:30 GMT)

[x] +1 Release this

Artifacts look good, the clirr error is explained in the release notes.

Tested with:

OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

Thomas

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/24/14 4:37 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> I observed 2 test failures on Windows with Java 6, 7 and 8 that didn't
> happen with the previous version:
>
> Tests run: 58, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 156.641
> sec <<< FAILURE! - in
> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool
> testClientWaitStats(org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool)
>  Time elapsed: 0.11 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> java.lang.AssertionError: null
> 	at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:86)
> 	at org.junit.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:41)
> 	at org.junit.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:52)
> 	at
> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.testClientWaitStats(TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.java:1583)
>

> Tests run: 70, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 73.891
> sec <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericObjectPool
> testBorrowObjectFairness(org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericObjectPool)
>  Time elapsed: 2.437 sec  <<< FAILURE!
> java.lang.AssertionError: Thread 36 failed: java.lang.Throwable:
> Expected: 36 found: 37
> 	at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
> 	at
> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericObjectPool.testBorrowObjectFairness(TestGenericObjectPool.java:2034)

Thanks for testing and reporting this.  The failing test is new,
verifying the fix for POOL-289.  The test is too sensitive for the
Windows system clock.  It basically depends on the assumption that
if a thread does sleep(100) then the difference between pre- post-
system times is at least 100 ms.  I will fix it and roll another RC
(unless someone else with access to a Windows box wants to take a
stab at it).

Phil

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Here is my +1

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/14 5:48 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 December 2014 at 21:57, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     r1647682

>> My tags are.
> But someone else could change it.
>
>>>  the vote thread needs the revision.

>> r7545
>>> Likewise, the URL does not uniquely identify what artifacts are being voted on.
>>> A revision or hashes of the artifacts are needed.
>>>
>>> Also need link to KEYS file so can check the sigs
>> My key has been on the commons KEYs file for 10+ years now.  I would
>> expect Commons PMC members to know where to grab that file.
> But the vote thread should allow anyone to review the code, not just
> those in the know.

>>> The code contains LinkedBlockingDeque which is based on 3rd party code.
>>> There is no corresponding mention in the LICENSE file, this needs to be added.
>> This is Apache Harmony code.  The ASF license header is there in the
>> source.
> Yes, but the NOTICE file contains a reference to
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>
> This is a license, and if it applies to the code, it needs to be in
> the LICENSE file.
> If it does not apply, why is it in NOTICE?
>
> I've found what I assume is the original file:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/java6/classlib/modules/concurrent/src/main/java/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingDeque.java
>
> This has the header:
>
> /*
>  * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
>  * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
>  * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>  */
>
> This does not look to me like a copyright statement that needs to be
> removed to NOTICE.
> See:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>
> Seems to me that a simple mention in LICENSE should be enough.

Not a blocker, IMO, but if you want to modify the files as you see
fit, go ahead and commit to trunk and I will pick up that changes if
there is another RC.  Otherwise, this one will go out like 2.0, 2.1,
2.2.

Phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/14 5:48 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 December 2014 at 21:57, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     r1647682

>> My tags are.
> But someone else could change it.
>
>>>  the vote thread needs the revision.

>> r7545
>>> Likewise, the URL does not uniquely identify what artifacts are being voted on.
>>> A revision or hashes of the artifacts are needed.
>>>
>>> Also need link to KEYS file so can check the sigs
>> My key has been on the commons KEYs file for 10+ years now.  I would
>> expect Commons PMC members to know where to grab that file.
> But the vote thread should allow anyone to review the code, not just
> those in the know.

>>> The code contains LinkedBlockingDeque which is based on 3rd party code.
>>> There is no corresponding mention in the LICENSE file, this needs to be added.
>> This is Apache Harmony code.  The ASF license header is there in the
>> source.
> Yes, but the NOTICE file contains a reference to
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>
> This is a license, and if it applies to the code, it needs to be in
> the LICENSE file.
> If it does not apply, why is it in NOTICE?
>
> I've found what I assume is the original file:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/java6/classlib/modules/concurrent/src/main/java/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingDeque.java
>
> This has the header:
>
> /*
>  * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
>  * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
>  * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>  */
>
> This does not look to me like a copyright statement that needs to be
> removed to NOTICE.
> See:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>
> Seems to me that a simple mention in LICENSE should be enough.

I was on the fence between just putting the header back into the
source or moving the text from NOTICE to LICENSE.  I did that
latter.  Any objections to that?

Phil

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 24/12/2014 01:48, sebb a écrit :

> But someone else could change it.

This has never happened and is easily tracked by the commit mails and
the SVN history. Let's focus on realistic issues.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/14 1:11 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 December 2014 at 17:32, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tag:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/

    r1647682

>> Tags are not immutable;
My tags are.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23 December 2014 at 17:32, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/

Tags are not immutable; the vote thread needs the revision.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 24/12/2014 11:10, Emmanuel Bourg a écrit :
> Le 24/12/2014 10:46, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>
>> CLIRR reports about getFairness() being added to an interface. Is this
>> interface intended to be implemented by users or not? If yes, then I
>> guess we cannot say in the release notes that:
>>
>>  "No client code changes are required to migrate from version 2.0, 2.1,
>>   or 2.2 to 2.3."
>>
>> If not (i.e. if the interface is really intended to be an internal one),
>> then I will change my -0 to a +1.
>
> I think this is intended for the JMX beans. The release notes state:
>
> "The MBean interfaces (DefaultPooledObjectInfoMBean,
> GenericKeyedObjectPoolMXBean and GenericKeyedObjectPoolMXBean) exist
> only to define the attributes and methods that will be made available
> via JMX. They must not be implemented by clients as they are subject to
> change between major, minor and patch version releases of Commons Pool.
> Clients that implement any of these interfaces may not, therefore, be
> able to upgrade to a new minor or patch release without requiring code
> changes."

Fine,

Then I change my previous -0 into a +1 for this vote.

best regards,
Luc

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 23/12/2014 18:32, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/
>
> Release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
>
> Maven:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1070
>
> Site:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.3-rc1/
>
> Release notes:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours (26-Dec 17:30 GMT)
>
> [ ] +1 Release this
> [ ] +0 Ok, but...
> [X] -0  Really should fix...

CLIRR reports about getFairness() being added to an interface. Is this
interface intended to be implemented by users or not? If yes, then I
guess we cannot say in the release notes that:

 "No client code changes are required to migrate from version 2.0, 2.1,
  or 2.2 to 2.3."

If not (i.e. if the interface is really intended to be an internal one),
then I will change my -0 to a +1.

Other very minor problems are that the changes report date is TBD
instead of an estimated release date and that some parts of the JIRA
reports do not state a "fix version". It seems also there is a false
positive in the checkstyle report about a file generated by cobertura:
target/generated-classes/cobertura/cobertura.properties.

best regards,
Luc