Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2011/08/11 11:40:00 UTC

Re: [general] Plexus and Commons code inherited from somewhere else

On 2011-08-11, Mark Struberg wrote:

> I now grabbed the Ant SVN codebase and figured that this got imported
> from CVS in 2004...

Most of the exec, io and compress stuff is older.  I wrote the initial
version of the zip package in 2001 and Thomas Haas and Conor MacNeill
did most of the exec things in summer 2000 shortly before Ant 1.1, for
example.

Ant removed @author tags in March 2004 which should give you an idea of
when the split happened.

Let me know if you need help navigating Ant's code.

> Happy to report back fixes, but I'm doing almost a blackbox approach
> for getting the plexus stuff back to the ASF. Of course it's ALv1.1
> licensed, but some folks took the provenience in question...

> Our current approach is to write TCK tests for the codehaus plexus
> classes and then implement own versions without looking at the
> original code.

I'm glad I don't share your problems ;-)

Seriously, I am subscribed to maven-dev and was aware of what you are
doing and your approach likely is the best you can do to support
existing plugins.

Stefan

Re: [general] Plexus and Commons code inherited from somewhere else

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-08-11, Mark Struberg wrote:

> commons-exec is actively maintained by Sigi Goeschl. So at least this
> is known to be in good hands.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't - or any of the other code that was
forked wasn't properly maintained.

> It's currently in the sandbox, so every ASF committer can contribute
> to it.  We are just touching the surface of getting this stuff back to
> the ASF. So any help is welcome :)

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/plexus-utils-commons-bridge

I know, but my plate is currently more than full, sorry.

Stefan

Re: [general] Plexus and Commons code inherited from somewhere else

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
commons-exec is actively maintained by Sigi Goeschl. So at least this is known to be in good hands.

The plexus stuff still has @author tags. That's the reason why I learned that you have been involved. I know this also has been discussed highly controversial, but for such fork scenarios the @author tag is really a great thing.

It's currently in the sandbox, so every ASF committer can contribute to it.
We are just touching the surface of getting this stuff back to the ASF. So any help is welcome :)

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/trunk/plexus-utils-commons-bridge

LieGrue,
strub