Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <sp...@rhoderunner.com> on 2007/09/29 18:15:44 UTC

would ibatis/spring/tapestry usage preclude adoption by ofbiz?

I am considering migrating a couple of applications that I have written to ofbiz.
One future goal that I am considering for this application is for it to be incorporated/inducted into the ofbiz codebase.

While I understand the power of ofbiz is that everything is done the same way (db model,webframework), I was wondering just how strict these guidelines are?

For example, what if I used ibatis for db persistence?  What if I used tapestry as my web framework?
Would using ibatis/tapestry/springframework prevent my application from being a candidate for the apache/ofbiz project?

As an example, one of the applications is a remotable content repository.  It is used for to upload content from many different application servers on different hosts to a central repostory where it is indexed by lucene, thumbnails generated dynamically when invoked.   It's very fast as one can view 900 images in an instant, and tag them with files, and descriptions.  There is a single interface that is remotable to find,search,upload,content.  Admin application is tapestry/ajax. I've spent many man-months on this, having implemented it in 3 different ways to achieve the required speed I needed for performance.

Thank you.

Re: would ibatis/spring/tapestry usage preclude adoption by ofbiz?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
This should be consiedered only as my own answer and not the community's

De : "Phillip Rhodes" <sp...@rhoderunner.com>

> I am considering migrating a couple of applications that I have written to ofbiz.
> One future goal that I am considering for this application is for it to be incorporated/inducted into the ofbiz codebase.

Great, let's see the sequel

> While I understand the power of ofbiz is that everything is done the same way (db model,webframework), I was wondering just how
strict these guidelines are?

AFAIK, they are and should stay strict. IMHO, OFBiz is already enough complicated as is.

> For example, what if I used ibatis for db persistence?  What if I used tapestry as my web framework?

This look like redundant to me, you have to make a choice here

> Would using ibatis/tapestry/springframework prevent my application from being a candidate for the apache/ofbiz project?

Redundancy is not a friend for a project like OFBiz. OK, OFBiz is a framework, but it's intended to be an ERP framework not
something general like Spring for instance

Jacques