Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2004/11/04 17:57:01 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm

At 10:35 AM 11/4/2004, Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>   -TEST_VERBOSE ?= 0
>>>   +TEST_VERBOSE = 0
>>
>> why not if (WIN32) {} then?
>
>do win32 environments add some magic WIN32 environment variable I can check
>in the Makefile?  if they do and we can work around them that's cool with me.

If I had to guess, this borks anything but gmake.  Test for that.

Bill

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> a little digging on my own at the time made it seem like solaris make is
> really gmake, so between linux, solaris, and bsd a decent case was being
> made that most unix make variants to support the syntax.  of course, that
> list of 3 was hardly exhaustive :)

Umm, on all the solaris systems I've used make is in fact not gmake,
there are a number of solaris specific differences.  This is at least
true on solaris 2.6 through solaris 8.  I'm not sure about 9 or 10.

-garrett

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
>>a little digging on my own at the time made it seem like solaris make is
>>really gmake
>

> Well, the way you have it installed perhaps.  But attempting this
> against /usr/ccs/bin/make it most definately blows up.

ok.  I actually don't have a solaris box to try on - I just went to sun's
support site and saw that the manpage for make was gmake (at least the one
that google first pointed me toward :)

>>, so between linux, solaris, and bsd a decent case was being
>>made that most unix make variants to support the syntax.  of course,
>>that list of 3 was hardly exhaustive :)
>

> Hardly.  The man page for hpux 11 make makes no mention of ?=
> nor does AIX 5.1.  you are 2 for 5.

yeah, not good.

> Explicitly fails on native make(s) on AIX 5.1, HPUX 11, Solaris 2.6.
> Please find another solution.

well, the solution at the moment is to not have a solution - cvs has been
reverted, so unless a real solution can be found it will remain a minor nit.

> p.s. simple test I used...
>
> TERM ?= uberterm
> all:
>         echo $(TERM)

the gmake manual suggests that ?= is equivalent to

ifeq ($(origin TEST_VERBOSE), undefined)
  TEST_VERBOSE = 0
endif

so that might make for a good test - the gmake manual didn't speficially say
that origin was explicit to it, but then again it didn't mention ?= either :)

--Geoff

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 11:23 AM 11/4/2004, Geoffrey Young wrote:

>> If I had to guess, this borks anything but gmake.  Test for that.
>
>I had asked on #asf about this and somebody (I forget who) said that the
>make manpage on minortaur (some bsd variant) supports ?= as well.  from
>looking at that it seems to be the manpage for pmake, which I guess is some
>other make variant. so limiting it to gmake at least would seem to wipe out
>bsd folks.

Ok, looks good for pmake, yes... however...

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> If I had to guess, this borks anything but gmake.  Test for that.

I had asked on #asf about this and somebody (I forget who) said that the
make manpage on minortaur (some bsd variant) supports ?= as well.  from
looking at that it seems to be the manpage for pmake, which I guess is some
other make variant. so limiting it to gmake at least would seem to wipe out
bsd folks.

a little digging on my own at the time made it seem like solaris make is
really gmake, so between linux, solaris, and bsd a decent case was being
made that most unix make variants to support the syntax.  of course, that
list of 3 was hardly exhaustive :)

anyway, this just isn't my area, so I'm happy to defer to others that grok
all this SA-type stuff.  but if most unix-variants support ?=, or if there
is another more universal way to work around the issue, I would hate to see
the correct behavior only for unix people using gmake.

--Geoff

Re: cvs commit: httpd-test/perl-framework/Apache-Test/lib/Apache TestMM.pm

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.