Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/29 03:08:09 UTC

Preparation for publishing Rust Arrow to crates.io

Assuming the Rust Arrow PR is merged, we will want to start publishing
releases to crates.io at some point. In fact, we should publish the 0.1.0
sooner rather than later to reserve the name "arrow" as crates.io operates
on a first-come first-served basis.

For those not familiar with the Rust ecosystem, crates.io is the equivalent
of Java's "maven central" and publishing a project is as simple as running
the "cargo publish" command.

The first person to publish the crate becomes the crate owner (they have to
authenticate with crates.io via github) but they can add other owners
(github people or teams).

So, if we don't publish it soon, anyone else could and we would not have
access to the crate and we would have to pick a new name.

Is there a github team for the Apache Arrow project? If not, should one be
created? Or is there a list of commiters that should be the crate owners?

Thanks,

Andy.

Re: Preparation for publishing Rust Arrow to crates.io

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com>.
OK, I will publish to reserve the name.

I think we will see very rapid development over the coming weeks as we
flesh this out. I also believe we have quite a few people waiting in the
wings who will start contributing as well. It could make sense to have a
separate release cycle at least initially but then again I should learn
more about the current release cycles.

Also, It is possible to people to add a github dependency to their projects
to pull the latest but it is much cleaner to have a versioned dependency
that pulls from crates.io

I am happy to put work in around automated builds and release processes if
that is helpful.

BTW I have an apache.org email address too as I was a committer on an
Apache project way back. Just mentioning it in case it is helpful or
relevant in any way on this project.

Thanks,

Andy.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.