Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Piotr Kosiorowski <pk...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/01 22:35:32 UTC

Nutch 0.7.1 and Nutch web site

Hello,
I have prepared Nutch 0.7.1 release today but I had one problem. I was
updating the site in branch but to deploy it one must use the version
from trunk. Currently I simply committed generated site in trunk but
this solution is far from perfect.
Should we have version independent site -> always modified in trunk?
Or should we think about having a site (eg. JavaDocs, tutorial etc)
versioned and available for all versions at the same time?
I am not sure know so I am asking if sombody has some ideas about it?
Tegards
Piotr

Re: Nutch 0.7.1 and Nutch web site

Posted by Jérôme Charron <je...@gmail.com>.
> The practice I've followed is to have the website reflect the latest
> released version. Documentation for older releases can be found by
> downloading those releases. Unreleased versions tend not to have good
> documentation.

I think it's a good and widely used practice.

If the trunk diverges from the current release, and we need to update
> the website, then we can use 'svn switch' on the web server to point the
> website at the current release. Right now the trunk
> (documentation-wise) still matches the current release 0.7.1, so this is
> not an issue. But, if we merge mapred into trunk and then wish to make
> a 0.7.2 release, then we might need to switch the web server to
> branch-0.7. Does this sound reasonable?

Not really on my own ;-)
Since the mapred merged into trunk isn't a release, the last release is
0.7.1 (so the web site is 0.7.1)
When the mapred becomes a release (ie 0.8), the last release is 0.8 (web
site should be 0.7.1)
Finally if a 0.7.2 maintenance release is needed, the last release is still
the 0.8 (so the web site should be 0.8)
Does it make sense?

Jérôme

--
http://motrech.free.fr/
http://www.frutch.org/

Re: Nutch 0.7.1 and Nutch web site

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
Piotr Kosiorowski wrote:
> Should we have version independent site -> always modified in trunk?
> Or should we think about having a site (eg. JavaDocs, tutorial etc)
> versioned and available for all versions at the same time?

The practice I've followed is to have the website reflect the latest
released version.  Documentation for older releases can be found by
downloading those releases.  Unreleased versions tend not to have good
documentation.

If the trunk diverges from the current release, and we need to update
the website, then we can use 'svn switch' on the web server to point the
website at the current release.  Right now the trunk
(documentation-wise) still matches the current release 0.7.1, so this is
not an issue.  But, if we merge mapred into trunk and then wish to make
a 0.7.2 release, then we might need to switch the web server to
branch-0.7.  Does this sound reasonable?

Doug