Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/05 00:43:52 UTC

OFBiz-Sandbox approved on SourceForge.net

For those of you interested, a project for a sandbox
has been approved on sourceforge.net
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofbiz-sandbox/).  The
goal is to provide an area that you can collaborate on
ideas for implementations based on Apache Open for
Business.  These collaborations can be from simple
feature improvements, to showcasing a particular
change, to complete components, to a half-baked idea
that you want to get the gist out to and let someone
with some more skills or time help work on.

Please understand that this is currently (and
depending on Apache OFBiz's interest in this side
project, perhaps permanently), completely outside of
the Apache Ofbiz project and has no relation to the
ASF other than simply being geeked about the current
and future Apache Open for Business project.  Code
that gets added to the ofbiz-sandbox may never make it
into the Apache OFBiz project.  I have no control over
such matters.

There is no level of quality necessary to contribute.
Just do your best not to wreck someone else's
progress.

I think the goal of anyone who would be contributing
any time or code to the ofbiz-sandbox is doing so in
the spirit of open source so that others can benefit
from a solution they've discovered.  Therefore to
prevent any potential roadblocks in Apache Ofbiz
adopting solutions formed in the sandbox, all
contributed code will be under the Apache 2.0 license
and I suppose donated to the ASF.  If anyone knows
what I need to do to ensure a roadblock isn't created,
please let me know (collect iCLA's from potential
committers, ensure Apache already has an iCLA for the
potential committer ??)  As soon as I get that
question answered, I'll start adding people who want
to be added to the svn commit access on the sf.net
site.

Personally, I would prefer to use these mailing lists
for discussion of things in the sandbox (to encourage
talk from more people), but if that is or becomes a
hassle for the Apache OFBiz project, just say the word
and I'll maintain a list or two off of the sf.net
site.

Thanks!

Re: OFBiz-Sandbox approved on SourceForge.net

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Chris Howe wrote:

> The legal-discuss mailing list is for committers only.
>  If a committer could pose the following question to
> the legal-discuss mailing list, I would appreciate it
> greatly.

I think that you can post the same message to general@incubator and get
good answers from them too.

Jacopo

Re: OFBiz-Sandbox approved on SourceForge.net

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
--- David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>
wrote:

> I don't know if it's that simple, and my guess (and
> concern) is that
> it isn't.
>
> At the ASF there are 2 varieties of CLAs, individual
> and corporate.
> Individual CLAs are always required and corporate
> CLAs are required
> if the person is an employee, and may be needed when
> working under a
> work for hire agreement.
>
> I think if you wanted to create an organization to
> govern the sandbox
> that would be able to license the code to the ASF
> you _might_ have to
> have an agreement in place that grants ownership to
> the sandbox
> entity, so it can license it to the ASF. That gets
> tricky... and I
> really don't know.
>
> Perhaps someone else does? Another option might be
> to see if someone
> on the legal discuss mailing list can comment on
> this.

The legal-discuss mailing list is for committers only.
 If a committer could pose the following question to
the legal-discuss mailing list, I would appreciate it
greatly.

Scenario:
A project (Project A) is set up on Source Forge by
individuals as the only legal entities.  Project A is
setup under the Apache License V2.  What would Project
A need to do beforehand to ensure that all code
committed to Project A's SVN is available for an
existing ASF project to incorporate into it's code
base in  the following scenarios:

1) ASF committer incorporates code from Project A
directly into the ASF project
2) Member of Project A submits a patch file to the
JIRA of the ASF project
3) Non Member of Project A submits patch file from
Project A to the JIRA of the ASF project.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jan 5, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> --- David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>
> wrote:
>

>> The owner of the copyright continues to own the
>> copyright. The Apache
>> 2.0 license explains fairly explicitly that only a
>> license is granted
>> from the copyright owner to the ASF, and then from
>> the ASF to any
>> users of the software.
>>
>> How you do this in a sandbox like you're shooting
>> for... I really
>> don't know! I think that's one reason the ASF
>> sandbox is limited to
>> committers only with CLAs on file. However, having a
>> CLA on file with
>> a separate organization doesn't really much for the
>> ASF.
>>

> A CLA for a separate legal entity (entity A) would
> give someone from entity A the the legal right to
> resubmit the collaborated work to the ASF (and
> therefore the authority to press the radio button:
> Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works.) Yes?
>
> Again, thanks for your feedback!

I don't know if it's that simple, and my guess (and concern) is that
it isn't.

At the ASF there are 2 varieties of CLAs, individual and corporate.
Individual CLAs are always required and corporate CLAs are required
if the person is an employee, and may be needed when working under a
work for hire agreement.

I think if you wanted to create an organization to govern the sandbox
that would be able to license the code to the ASF you _might_ have to
have an agreement in place that grants ownership to the sandbox
entity, so it can license it to the ASF. That gets tricky... and I
really don't know.

Perhaps someone else does? Another option might be to see if someone
on the legal discuss mailing list can comment on this.

In general for collaborative efforts that are meant to go into OFBiz,
I'd still recommend getting a road map laid out and some initial code
that can be committed for people to base their efforts on. Is this a
bit of a pain? Yeah. Definitely. Working with others always is. These
days I spend easily 2-3 hours on collaboration for every hour I spend
on development...

-David

Re: OFBiz-Sandbox approved on SourceForge.net

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jan 5, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Chris Howe wrote:

> Hey David (others),
>
> I want to avoid being in a potentially
> similar situation that Ofbiz was  in prior
> to Apache incubation.
>
> Who owns the code that people contribute via svn?
> (rhetorical question follows) Prior to Apache
> Incubation was Open for Business a legal entity that
> could accept ownership?  If it wasn't, I find myself
> in a similar situation in that ofbiz-sandbox isn't a
> legal entity.  As far as my contributions that are
> OFBiz related, I don't care how others use it as long
> as it doesn't prevent me from using it.  How can I
> ensure that others who post to the sandbox svn are
> making their commits in a similar manner?

The owner of the copyright continues to own the copyright. The Apache
2.0 license explains fairly explicitly that only a license is granted
from the copyright owner to the ASF, and then from the ASF to any
users of the software.

How you do this in a sandbox like you're shooting for... I really
don't know! I think that's one reason the ASF sandbox is limited to
committers only with CLAs on file. However, having a CLA on file with
a separate organization doesn't really much for the ASF.

> Since solutions provided in the sandbox have a
> potential to being applicable to the Apache Ofbiz
> project, what can be done ahead of time to ensure that
> someone has the ability to create a patch based on
> sandbox code, upload it to Apache OFBiz's JIRA and
> legally be able to click the "Grant license to ASF for
> inclusion in ASF works" radio button?  Because the
> intention of the sandbox is to facilitate
> collaboration, it's likely the person creating the
> patch doesn't own the code he's submitting in it's
> entirety.
>
> I want the sandbox to supplement Apache Ofbiz's
> efforts and make it easier to develop solutions.  I
> don't want contributions to have legal ramifications
> because of who owned the contribution when it was all
> in the spirit of open source.
>
> This issue isn't unique to the sandbox either.  Unless
> Tim and the others that contributed for the shopping
> cart improvement are all employees of Hotwax and Tim
> was contributing patches as a function of Hotwax's
> operations, they face a similar legal question.  Anil
> and Ashish would have potential for legal recourse
> later even if they don't voice objections today and
> even if they have iCLAs on file with the ASF as they
> weren't the donors of their work.  I'm not saying it's
> a valid argument, but does at least pass the standard
> for a nuisance one.  And if your 25 years or older in
> the United States, chances are you already understand
> the costs of a nuisance lawsuit.

At Hotwax we address this explicitly in our sub-contractor and client
agreements to make sure we can contribute things back to the open
source project.

This is an issue that Andy and I have been working with for years and
be careful about in our contracts and such. Just be careful of doing
things on a "work for hire" basis because then whoever is paying you
owns the copyright and they have to contribute it to OFBiz because
you don't own the copyright so you can't license it (unless you have
an adequate license from them to be able to sub-license it to the
ASF...).

-David

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Hey David (others),

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
BTW, Anil, as we talked about before if you're still interested in
getting this into OFBiz that may still be an option we can pursue.

-David

Posted by Anil Patel <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: OFBiz-Sandbox approved on SourceForge.net (was Licensing Issues)

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
wrote:

> On the other hand, technically this is a problem you
> don't have
> yet... If something goes through months of
> development in the sandbox
> and is ready to go into the OFBiz trunk, THEN you'll
> have some legal
> hurdles to jump, but then you'll also have very
> specific information
> about the situation and it can be discussed with
> rubber to the road
> instead of in a hypothetical way. Still, what you're
> doing with
> regards to finding out about legal concerns is a
> good idea up front.
> Hopefully now you know what some of your options are
> and you can
> decide how to proceed.
>
> -David

Thanks David. Good point on the technicality.  I
suppose it wouldn't be _that difficult to jump the
legal hurdles in most collaborative efforts that would
go on in the sandbox if and when they produced
something that would be of interest to include in the
Apache project.  The scope of most collaboration will
likely only be a handful of people for any given issue
or enhancement (as opposed to the scope of OFBiz prior
to incubation as the entire code base would be treated
as one issue in the sandbox model).  And those people
should be easy to track down with the SVN commit log.

That being said, I will now open up ofbix-sandbox to
anyone wishing to collaborate in a liberal SVN to toss
around ideas through code/create solutions related to
the Apache Open for Business Project please feel free
to contact me through the sourceforge site:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofbiz-sandbox

Thanks!

,Chris