Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ruel Loehr <ru...@jboss.com> on 2005/11/08 16:02:06 UTC

[M2] single source tree - multiple artifacts - summary of options

Guys,

I was looking for a faq or doc that spelled out the options for those of
us who have single source trees but need to produce multiple artifacts
but can't find one.

I realize that my #1 option is to split the tree (this is in fact that
path I will pursue), but I also want to be able to defend my position
and state something like,

"I split the source tree due to the fact that there are no workarounds
in maven2 for producing multiple artifacts from a single source tree."

Is this in fact true?   I want to make sure before I pursue this route
that it could not be accomplished by somehow creating multiple pom's in
a single root dir or something.....

Ruel Loehr
JBoss QA

Re: [M2] single source tree - multiple artifacts - summary of options

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 09:02 -0600, Ruel Loehr wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I was looking for a faq or doc that spelled out the options for those of
> us who have single source trees but need to produce multiple artifacts
> but can't find one.

What are the artifacts that you want to produce?

We do support secondary or attached artifacts and an example of that is
creating an ejb client JAR along with the full ejb jar.

We also generally recommend decomposing your build in separate builds if
you required multiple source trees. But I can't recommend anything
without knowing what you're trying to accomplish.

> I realize that my #1 option is to split the tree (this is in fact that
> path I will pursue), but I also want to be able to defend my position
> and state something like,
>
> "I split the source tree due to the fact that there are no workarounds
> in maven2 for producing multiple artifacts from a single source tree."

That's not entirely true. We frown up producing multiple primary
artifacts for example trying to build both the client, server and common
code from a single build.

> Is this in fact true?   I want to make sure before I pursue this route
> that it could not be accomplished by somehow creating multiple pom's in
> a single root dir or something.....

The rule of thumb is one primary artifact per build. I've created JIRA
issues to request a mini guide be made on explaining secondary/attached
artifacts.

> Ruel Loehr
> JBoss QA

jvz.