Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/02/26 15:40:09 UTC

Download stats

Hi all,

I took a look a the download stats from downloads.apache.org.

I didn't look at what was being downloaded (hashes, signatures or
releases). I just compared number of requests for each version over a 24
hour period (yesterday). The results were:

Tomcat 3    0.01%
Tomcat 4    0.03%
Tomcat 5    0.11%
Tomcat 6    0.39%
Tomcat 7   26.5%
Tomcat 8   29.9%
Tomcat 9   39.0%
Tomcat 10   4.1%

I checked a couple of the IPs downloading Tomcat 10 at random. They did
appear to be downloading specific files rather than scraping everything.

Overall, there is (apparently) a higher than I expected take up of
Tomcat 10.

I'll try and redo these figures on a regular(ish) basis so we get an
idea of trends.

Mark

Re: Download stats

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/02/2020 07:59, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 5:40 PM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I took a look a the download stats from downloads.apache.org
>     <http://downloads.apache.org>.
>
>     I didn't look at what was being downloaded (hashes, signatures or
>     releases). I just compared number of requests for each version over a 24
>     hour period (yesterday). The results were:
>
>     Tomcat 3    0.01%
>     Tomcat 4    0.03%
>     Tomcat 5    0.11%
>     Tomcat 6    0.39%
>

>     Tomcat 7   26.5%
>

> The percentage for Tomcat 7 is rather high at the moment.
> If the number is similar for the regular runs, could it affect our
> desire to EOL it next year ?

I think it is a bit chicken and egg.

Although it is relatively low risk to upgrade from one major Tomcat
version to another, there are a reasonable number of users who will stay
on their current version until EOL is announced.

Previous major Tomcat versions have had a life-time of around a decade
and Tomcat 7 is going to about the same.

It just occurred to me that downloads.a.o is only going to show current
versions. The equivalent figures for archive.a.o (same day) are:

Tomcat 3    0.23%
Tomcat 4    0.30%
Tomcat 5    1.43%
Tomcat 6    7.12%
Tomcat 7   28.1%
Tomcat 8   46.7%
Tomcat 9   15.9%
Tomcat 10   0.18%

Committers can also get download stats for Maven Central by logging on
to repository.apache.org

There are some "interesting" numbers there. It looks like the results
are significantly skewed by something (CI systems?) repeatedly
downloading the same old version. I do wonder how many of the
downloads.a.o and archive.a.o requests are also from CI and similar systems.

Mark

Re: Download stats

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Download stats

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 5:40 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I took a look a the download stats from downloads.apache.org.
>
> I didn't look at what was being downloaded (hashes, signatures or
> releases). I just compared number of requests for each version over a 24
> hour period (yesterday). The results were:
>
> Tomcat 3    0.01%
> Tomcat 4    0.03%
> Tomcat 5    0.11%
> Tomcat 6    0.39%
>

> Tomcat 7   26.5%

The percentage for Tomcat 7 is rather high at the moment.
If the number is similar for the regular runs, could it affect our desire
to EOL it next year ?

Martin