Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2016/04/16 07:43:22 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pipeline Runner API design doc

Hi,
is there already a design doc on moving the triggers to be cross-language/a
syntax tree. It is mentioned in one line in this doc and in passing in some
other Jira issues and pull requests/commits. I'm quite interested in how
this would go. It would also not allow user-written triggers anymore,
correct?

Cheers,
Aljoscha

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi Aljoscha,

Thanks for reading it over!

 - There is no trigger design doc circulating yet. You are right that it
would disable user-defined triggers against the current API. IMO the API is
too general/unstructured and tends to magnify errors. I do actually have a
doc on triggers that is the basis for making them language independent, but
I am still improving it to be useful to a broader audience.

 - We definitely want to keep ReduceFnRunner around for everyone to be able
to use, just more "under the hood". Hopefully as we refine things, it will
become less of a nexus of complexity.

 - Yes, I think we should definitely keep PIpelineVisitor, but add more
capabilities. This API can continue to be enhanced, I just tried to outline
in the doc the minimum for getting rid of the "apply" interception.

Kenn

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,