Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "adam.edwards" <ad...@siemens.com> on 2019/03/29 08:32:52 UTC

Cannot view subscriber message breakdown in ActiveMQ Console

I have a queue that currently has 200 consumers and makes use of message
groups. The total number of message groups is unknown but likely to be large
(order of 1000s). During periods of particularly heavy load, I see messages
destined for this queue arriving on the DLQ with a "TopicSubDiscard" reason.
As best I can determine, this suggests that the intended consumers for those
messages had a full dispatch queue (still at the default of 1000) so the
messages were discarded.

In order to verify this, and to get some indication of whether the group
IDs/messages are being evenly distributed across the consumers I try to use
the "Active Consumers" screen in the ActiveMQ console, but this shows zero
messages enqueues, dequeues, dispatched and dispatch queue for every
consumer. I believe that this information is incorrect as the total
enqueues/dequeues for the queue in question updates as expected, and some
messages are definitely being processed by the consumers. I have not
observed any pending messages on this queue even during periods where
messages are being discarded.Other queues on the same server do show data on
this screen that at least looks realistic.

Is there anything that I am likely to have misconfigured that is preventing
me from getting at this information, or another way to retrieve it that
might be more successful?

I'm also open to any suggestions on what might be the root cause of the
messages being discarded in the first place.

Thanks