Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com> on 2019/01/30 21:32:34 UTC

GitHub actions are available

Hi Cameleers,
seems that GitHub actions are available on apache organization. Could
be just me but this is really exciting :)

I'm thinking we could use this for the camel-website repository,
perhaps even replacing Jenkins.

For background, there's a whole discussion over at builds@ on not
having an organization wide personal access token available, so the
Jenkins pipeline is now configured with personal access token from my
GitHub account.

zoran
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: GitHub actions are available

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Willem,
for the GitHub pull request builder there's asf-git account with
personal access token configured. Any pipeline build needs to
reference a credential and that account is not provided as a
credential on Jenkins. Currently the camel-website build is configured
with my own personal access token.

There's a discussion on this on the builds@[1] that links to issues in INFRA,

zoran

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-builds/201812.mbox/%3CCABD_Zr9uS1Ux63FYEyVOz9yi55j0DdOEz7uyFKRO9Lx0%3DdwAfw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Willem,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
sorry to write about this a bit after the fact. I just wanted to
provide an update and open the discussion on the use of GitHub
actions.

I've been experimenting on the camel-website with GitHub actions and
thus far my opinion of it is that it could replace the Jenkins build
for the website that we currently use. I'm optimistic about the
technology and I can see that it will solve some of the issues we
currently have with the website build using Jenkins.

First the issues: I'd like to use Jenkins pipeline to build the
website, this is my personal preference and I'm aware of my bias
towards it, I think it's the best way to configure build jobs on
Jenkins; but due to the fact of how Jenkins pipeline works with GitHub
and the fact that GitHub doesn't offer fine grained permissions I have
to configure the build job with my personal access token. I don't
think this is a good thing, either for me personally, or for the
community. I've asked about this on the builds@ mailing list[1] and
the issues and this topic was touched upon in other threads there on
the topic of release automation.

My proposed solution: use GitHub actions for the build and publish of
the website and for the pull request/branch preview. I have had some
success with that, I've stumbled a bit on the build optimization
(caching required Node modules in the container image), but I think I
can get that sorted. I've also learned from this experience, so
instead of making things rather complex I think the best way would be
to configure multiple workflows: one for build/publish from master and
one for pull request/branch build/preview. I'm currently focusing on
the build/publish from master workflow.

There are two significant side effects of using GitHub actions: the
code executed there has read/write access to the git repository and
the feature is currently in Beta stage.

So this is what I would like to discuss, without going into the
technical details too much (I can if anyone is interested or thinks
it'll help the discussion),

thanks :)

--
Zoran Regvart