Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by "David H. DeWolf" <da...@vivare.com> on 2004/10/11 02:39:22 UTC

Cross Context Session Clarification

I would like to request clarification concerning
cross context sessions as defined by 7.3 of the
Servlet Spec.

In short, should a session made available upon
cross context dispatching be also made available
upon subsequent direct requests to the second
context?

In other words, assume three resources C1-A, C2-A,
and C2-B.  C1-A exists within context C1.  C2-A
and C2-B exist within context C2.  If C1-A includes
C2-A and C2-A sets session attributes, should
a direct request to C2-B be able to subsequently
retrieve these attributes from it's session?

This question is being discussed extensively on
the Apache Pluto development list as it appears to
us that section 15.3 of the Portlet Specification
(specifically Application Scoped attributes) relies
upon a our interpretation that the answer to the
above question is 'yes', C2-B should be able to
retrieve the attribute(s).  At the same time,
Tomcat does not implement cross context sessions
in this manner and the Tomcat team has expressed
that they interpret 7.3 differently.

Would you please provide clarification, and, if
you feel necessary, an Errata for clarification
purposes.

Thanks,

David DeWolf
Committer, Apache Pluto