Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rafael Taboada <ka...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/02 17:27:38 UTC

ANOTHER IDE

 Hi folks...

 I'm using NetBeans as IDE. But i want to know if there is another
powerful IDE that supports working with struts...

 Netbeans can do ant build for me. Is there another powerful IDE? or better??

 thanks for ur cooperation

--

 Rafael Taboada

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Folashade Adeyosoye <sh...@gmail.com>.
This might not be in the free realm, but give JBuilder 2005 a try...

RE: [OT: Swing slow?] Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Folashade Adeyosoye <sh...@gmail.com>.
JBuilder 2005 has been good to me, a little slower that JBuilder 9, with JB
2005 thay have incorporated the eclipse feel

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: [OT] Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Frank W. Zammetti wrote the following on 5/4/2005 4:00 PM:
> they always seem to get in the way for me more than
> they help in the long run.

This is how I always felt as well until I used IDEA. It's the one IDE
that I've used where I didn't feel like I was using an IDE. Eclipse was

Re: [OT] Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Agreed... I've played with virtually every IDE out there, any it's
always felt like while they have a couple of nicities (and sometimes a
VERY nice nicity!) they always seem to get in the way for me more than
they help in the long run.  The only exception is a debugger, which
genuinely is helpful sometimes, although even that I manage just fine
without (but I have no doubt it is useful).

What I always tell my guys at work is that they can use whatever tools
they want, so long as (a) it allows them to work most efficiently and
(b) they can share work (i.e., no tools that force you into some
proprietary project structure).  As long as you can run an ANT script to
build the project, I don't really care what IDE or other tools you use
to get there.  I'm a minimalist, it works best for me, but it doesn't
for everyone (in fact, I'm in the minority and I know it!)

Frank

Dave Newton wrote:
> Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>
>> Macros are an absolute must for me, and it's art of the reason I still
>> use nothing but UltraEdit... all the fancy code refactoring tools and
>> such that all the IDEs have I wind up doing in macros, and I have more
>> control over how they work, at least, it sure feels like I do.
>

> Well, you certainly have more control, but I don't think I'd want to
> write a macro that extracted code chunks into methods with
> automagically-correct parameter signatures, return types, etc. or
> pulling methods up or down, changing method signatures and propagating
> it through my code, etc.
>
> Having context-sensitive code completion/auto-complete is nice too,
> especially for verbose languages like Java etc.
>
> Dave

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

[OT] Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Macros are an absolute must for me, and it's art of the reason I still
use nothing but UltraEdit... all the fancy code refactoring tools and
such that all the IDEs have I wind up doing in macros, and I have more
control over how they work, at least, it sure feels like I do.

I'm going to have another look at IDEA though... I've frankly never felt
like I needed anything an IDE gives me (except for integrated debugging
of webapps, that is one thing I would definitely like to have), but if I
find one that feels right I wouldn't have a problem switching.

P.S., the guys that do UltraEdit are coming out with a new product, IIRC
called UltraStudio... supposed to be a more full-featured IDE but with
UltraEdit at the core... if they include plug-in support, that could be
the ultimate for me.

Frank

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Adam Hardy wrote the following on 5/7/2005 3:04 PM:

> Sometimes it will never stop and I am doomed to have these time-wasting
> issues with Eclipse plug-ins not working together, or just not
> installing, or Java 5 bugs or whatever. Progress I guess.
>
> I'd like to know whether these kinds of issues affect IDEA users. When
> was the last time you spent a whole morning trying to get tomcat to run
> inside Eclipse, or an hour a day for a week fighting to get Maven menus
> to appear?

That's why I like IDEA. Things just seem to work and I too had problems
with things working in Eclipse and it seemed buggy. That's what prompted
me to look at alternatives in the first place.

(Haven't tried the Maven plugin stuff for IDEA though so I can't claim
to know anything about how that behaves.)

--
Rick

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Adam Hardy wrote:

> On 04/05/05 18:25 Dave Newton wrote:
>
>> Except for the crappy editor in Eclipse (a programmer's editor
>> without macros?!?!?!) it seems to do a pretty good job with the
>> addition of MyEclipse (~$30/yearly) although I've seen a few minor
>> complaints and bugs. Has the same (or similar, perhaps slightly less
>> functional?) features: XML editing and tag completion for XML and
>> JSP, code completion inside JSP, Pretty Good refactoring support.
>

> I used to code with emacs, without code completion or debugging or
> whatever, and I managed fine - now I code in Eclipse and I have all
> the whizz bang plug-ins like maven and cvs and xmlspy and I've got the
> Problems List which highlights the code causing errors, plus I can
> refactor, BUT.... I waste so much time, hours and hours when it goes
> wrong.

I think/thought the XRefactor emacs package did code completion--no
debugging support that I'm aware of, but the refactoring/completion
stuff was satisfactory for me, and the price was low. Emacs is still king :)

> I'd like to know whether these kinds of issues affect IDEA users. When
> was the last time you spent a whole morning trying to get tomcat to
> run inside Eclipse, or an hour a day for a week fighting to get Maven
> menus to appear?

You must just be lucky--I haven't had any major Eclipse problems once
getting away from the 2.x series, although it is kinda draggy sometimes.

> PS what does myeclipse do?

JSP/XML editing/completiong, Struts, etc. support. Cheap and mostly works.

Dave

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 04/05/05 18:25 Dave Newton wrote:
> Except for the crappy editor in Eclipse (a programmer's editor without
> macros?!?!?!) it seems to do a pretty good job with the addition of
> MyEclipse (~$30/yearly) although I've seen a few minor complaints and
> bugs. Has the same (or similar, perhaps slightly less functional?)
> features: XML editing and tag completion for XML and JSP, code
> completion inside JSP, Pretty Good refactoring support.

I used to code with emacs, without code completion or debugging or
whatever, and I managed fine - now I code in Eclipse and I have all the
whizz bang plug-ins like maven and cvs and xmlspy and I've got the
Problems List which highlights the code causing errors, plus I can
refactor, BUT.... I waste so much time, hours and hours when it goes wrong.

Sometimes it will never stop and I am doomed to have these time-wasting
issues with Eclipse plug-ins not working together, or just not
installing, or Java 5 bugs or whatever. Progress I guess.

I'd like to know whether these kinds of issues affect IDEA users. When
was the last time you spent a whole morning trying to get tomcat to run
inside Eclipse, or an hour a day for a week fighting to get Maven menus
to appear?

This must be the bleeding edge, right?

Adam

PS what does myeclipse do?

--
struts 1.2 + tomcat 5.0.19 + java 1.5.0
Linux 2.4.20 Debian

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
It takes a while to really get into IDEA, once you do, everything else feels
like notepad or gedit. :-)

XML editing? Got it, complete with tag and attribute completion.
JSP editing? Got it, and it is as good as or better than the netbeans editor
(that says alot).
Java editing? Almost orgasmic..it really does make your code better.
Refactoring? Ohhhh baby!

The only things that I can think of that it *could* do better are SVN
support (but with tortoise svn, you do not really need that) and code
folding in non-java files (jEdit still rules in that area).

Other than those, it is darn near perfect.

Larry

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
The JetBrains IDEA is so good, it's spooky.

It's like pair-programming with Commander Data. :)

-Ted.

On 5/2/05, Rafael Taboada <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi folks...
>
>  I'm using NetBeans as IDE. But i want to know if there is another
> powerful IDE that supports working with struts...
>
>  Netbeans can do ant build for me. Is there another powerful IDE? or better??
>
>  thanks for ur cooperation
>
> --
>
>  Rafael Taboada

HTH, Ted.

Re: ANOTHER IDE

Posted by Lee Harrington <le...@gmail.com>.
I like Eclipse with MyEclipse.  MyEclips is a $30 per year
subscription, but well worth it.

Lee