Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2003/10/09 10:41:26 UTC

Whiteboard Tool (was: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon (wiki pages))

From: Bertrand Delacretaz

> FYI I have created
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?> page=FirstFriday
> based on
> the recent discussions here.

Thank you Bertrand. I also had a look at Andreas' list of tools of
whiteboard systems.

Which tool do you guys recommend? I prefer something that works for all
platforms and doesn't require hours of registration or installation and
is firewall friendly.

Reinhard

RE: Whiteboard Tool (was: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon (wiki pages))

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
From: Jeremy Quinn

> On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 09:58 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> > Le Jeudi, 9 oct 2003, à 10:41 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard Poetz
> a écrit :
> >> ...Which tool do you guys recommend? I prefer something that works
> >> for all
> >> platforms and doesn't require hours of registration or
> installation
> >> and
> >> is firewall friendly.
> >
> > Dunno. We'll have to try I guess, and not get stuck in
> toolsmania. I
> > tested Cocinella and Babylon last year and they both looked
> good, but
> > didn't use them on actual projects.
>
> <snip/>
>
> Bertrand just appeared on iChat this morning, we had a quick
> discussion
> about the usefulness of different tools for
> code-collaboration for our
> new FirstFriday sessions.
>
> We thought it would be a good idea to try some of the tools
> out between
> us first to see what was workable and what was not.
>
> Bertrand is a bit busy, so I am asking you lot :)
>
> If any of you are interested in working with me on this,
> please get in
> touch. I can install any specific server software here
> <jerm.dyndns.org> we might need (as long as it runs on MacOSX).
>
> What requirements do we have?
>
> 	1. Cross Platform - seems to be the biggest problem :(
> 	2. Shared diagrams - for developing concepts
> 	3. Shared text-editor - for pair programming
> 	4. Archived shared messaging - for group discussions
> 	5. Rapid publishing - for the record of the day's progress

+1

I can test the Win2k client if you like. Please contact me (directly),
whenever you want to run some tests.

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 09:58 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Jeudi, 9 oct 2003, à 10:41 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
>> ...Which tool do you guys recommend? I prefer something that works
>> for all
>> platforms and doesn't require hours of registration or installation
>> and
>> is firewall friendly.
>
> Dunno. We'll have to try I guess, and not get stuck in toolsmania.
> I tested Cocinella and Babylon last year and they both looked good,
> but didn't use them on actual projects.

<snip/>

Bertrand just appeared on iChat this morning, we had a quick discussion
about the usefulness of different tools for code-collaboration for our
new FirstFriday sessions.

We thought it would be a good idea to try some of the tools out between
us first to see what was workable and what was not.

Bertrand is a bit busy, so I am asking you lot :)

If any of you are interested in working with me on this, please get in
touch. I can install any specific server software here
<jerm.dyndns.org> we might need (as long as it runs on MacOSX).

What requirements do we have?

	1. Cross Platform - seems to be the biggest problem :(
	2. Shared diagrams - for developing concepts
	3. Shared text-editor - for pair programming
	4. Archived shared messaging - for group discussions
	5. Rapid publishing - for the record of the day's progress

What do you think?

regards Jeremy

Re: Whiteboard Tool (was: [RT] FirstFriday - monthly virtual Hackathon (wiki pages))

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Jeudi, 9 oct 2003, à 10:41 Europe/Zurich, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :
> ...Which tool do you guys recommend? I prefer something that works for
> all
> platforms and doesn't require hours of registration or installation and
> is firewall friendly.

Dunno. We'll have to try I guess, and not get stuck in toolsmania.
I tested Cocinella and Babylon last year and they both looked good, but
didn't use them on actual projects.

My dream would be a system where a group can create X whiteboards (like
one per Bugzilla issue for the FirstFriday), and see thumbnails of all
of them on a single web page. Clicking on one of them would show it
full-page (or start an applet) and allow you to interact with it.

On a functional level, each whiteboard must allow for sharing text
(code excerpts for example) and maybe simple drawings (boxes and arrows
are enough I think).

As you mention, the whole thing has to be firewall-friend (and lazy-ass
friendly ;-).
Going to the right webpage should be enough.

www.quicktopic.com is a good example of an instant discussion tool, but
uses the "linear discussion" instead of the whiteboard model.

I won't have much time to look for such tools in the next weeks, but if
someone wants to do some research...go for it!

I'd also be interested in following/mentoring students willing to work
on such tools for diploma or similar work. Please contact me offlist if
anyone's interested.

-Bertrand