Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Alexander Banthien <ba...@justec.de> on 2001/08/01 19:24:57 UTC

Re: Newbie Stateful Navigation Question

Hi Jonathan, and hi to you all,

we currently use the following system. Our screens set several variables (
$nav, $subnav, $subsubnav) to integers. The navigation-template can
interpret these and so decide on what to show highlighted, expanded,... in
the navigation.

This is flexible and  more or less easy to use.
But requires every Screen-designer to know about this concept and it makes
reorganization of the site a hard matter.

Jonathan Kaplan schrieb:

> Greetings,
>
> I am working on a turbine proof-of-concept site that will need to
> implement navigation that indicates the current state of the app.  i.e.
> highlighting primary, secondary navigation choices to show the user
> where they are in the application.
>
> What is the best way to implement this with regard to layout and
> navigation and/or actions?  Here is my (very newbie) thought process: It
> seems to me that my navigation choices should be cooked up as URIs to
> actions.  That way, on a navigation event I can adjust the state of the
> app though the context.  Then, during the the rendering of the vm, I can
> make visual adjustments based on the state I set.
>
> Please let me know whether I am on the right track here....
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Kaplan | V I A N T | New York | www.viant.com | 212.271.7882 |
> Jonathan.Kaplan@viant.com

Alexander Banthien       banthien@justec.de
JusTec GmbH              +49 761 401269 41
Haslacher Str. 126       +49 761 401269 13 (Fax)
79115 Freiburg   Germany