Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Wilson <an...@tees.elsevier.co.uk> on 1996/01/17 16:02:09 UTC

spyglass

Ok,

	my pet student-webadmin, charged with downloading any and all
software available and trying to find ways for it to screw my company
in a production environment took about 5 minutes to determine that

a)	it's not 101% compatible with NCSA 1.3
b)	it coredumps big-time when the conf file is messed up
d)	SSI seemingly not available
e)      extremely easy to configure.  1 binary, one conf file, no need
	for voodoo programmers to keep it running (provided you can get
	it started)
f)	API is really nice
g)	everyone should take time to print out and read the webbed docs,
	some nice left-field ideas that are new, at least to UNIX serverdom
h)	it's got a lot going for it, but right now we'll stick with
	NCSA/Apache/NS and all the legacy code that these support

Mmm, so it's more than just hot air.

Ay.

Re: spyglass

Posted by Mark J Cox <M....@bradford.ac.uk>.
> e)      extremely easy to configure.  1 binary, one conf file, no need
> 	for voodoo programmers to keep it running (provided you can get
> 	it started)

I've always thought we should migrate towards a single config file; you
can almost do this with Apache as it stands (if you don't mind changing
httpd.h and recompiling).

If you could set the existing directives "AccessConfig" and
"ResourceConfig" to be both "NULL" then a single file would suffice (you
can do the same for the mime-types file and get rid of that too if you
like).  Unfortunately the current config file parser won't let you set a
directive to NULL.  I wrote a patch that extents "take1" ("take1orNULL")
that allows a directive to be explicitly set to "NULL" if required; I'll
dig it out.

Mark
Mark J Cox,  mark@awe.com -------------- URL:http://www.awe.com/mark.html
University of Bradford, England ---------- tel +44.1274.384070/fax 391333