Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> on 2012/05/18 16:06:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
board resolution:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution

Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
access to compute resources".  Thoughts?

Please check the list of initial members to make sure I didn't leave
anyone out.  This list includes both PPMC members and committers,
correct?  If we are in agreement that the list will be the committers
after graduation, should the status file be changed now?

The PPMC members also need to appoint a chair for the project.  I
would be willing to do this.  Anyone else interested?

Also, 2 more issues regarding the status file:
The stock bullets under "Project info" should be removed.

The description is currently "VCL is a management framework for
building, dispensing and managing virtual machine images across a set
of bare metal machines or systems with an installed virtual machine
hypervisor."  I don't think this is quite accurate.  How about "VCL is
a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
brokers remote access to compute resources."?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
On May 18, 2012, at 10:06 AM, Andy Kurth wrote:

> I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
> board resolution:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution
>
> Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
> will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
> work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
> scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
> access to compute resources".  Thoughts?

Thanks for writing this. It sounds great.

> Please check the list of initial members to make sure I didn't leave
> anyone out.  This list includes both PPMC members and committers,
> correct?  If we are in agreement that the list will be the committers
> after graduation, should the status file be changed now?
>
> The PPMC members also need to appoint a chair for the project.  I
> would be willing to do this.  Anyone else interested?

I would support having Andy serve as chair.

> Also, 2 more issues regarding the status file:
> The stock bullets under "Project info" should be removed.
>
> The description is currently "VCL is a management framework for
> building, dispensing and managing virtual machine images across a set
> of bare metal machines or systems with an installed virtual machine
> hypervisor."  I don't think this is quite accurate.  How about "VCL is
> a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
> brokers remote access to compute resources."?

That sounds much better (though I believe a comma should precede 'which').

Aaron Coburn

--
Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

On Friday, May 18, 2012 10:06:57 AM Andy Kurth wrote:
> I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
> board resolution:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution

The resolution looks good to me.

> Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
> will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
> work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
> scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
> access to compute resources".  Thoughts?

What you have works for me.

> Please check the list of initial members to make sure I didn't leave
> anyone out.  This list includes both PPMC members and committers,
> correct?  If we are in agreement that the list will be the committers
> after graduation, should the status file be changed now?

(Aaron P. - thanks for contacting Brian B. about his continued interest.)

> The PPMC members also need to appoint a chair for the project.  I
> would be willing to do this.  Anyone else interested?

I'd support you doing this.  It may be a good idea to include a term length in
our bylaws so that whoever is in the chair position has a definite end to
their commitment (with the option to continue).  I'd just like to avoid the
case where someone volunteers and then gets stuck in a position because no one
else wants to do it.

> Also, 2 more issues regarding the status file:
> The stock bullets under "Project info" should be removed.
>
> The description is currently "VCL is a management framework for
> building, dispensing and managing virtual machine images across a set
> of bare metal machines or systems with an installed virtual machine
> hypervisor."  I don't think this is quite accurate.  How about "VCL is
> a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
> brokers remote access to compute resources."?

How about adding a little on the end about our simple end user self-service
interface?  Something like:

VCL is a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
brokers remote access to compute resources while providing a simple self-
service interface for end users.

I'm certainly not a grammar expert, but I don't think a comma is needed before
the 'which' in this case.

Josh
- --
- -------------------------------
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu> wrote:

>>> I agree more should be added.  I kept it short since the example
>>> resolutions suggested on the graduation guide page are very short and
>>> general:
>>> ofbiz: "open-source software related to enterprise automation"
>>>
>>> Can we just use the description then?:
>>> "open-source software related to a modular cloud computing platform
>>> which dynamically provisions and brokers remote access to compute
>>> resources"
>>
>>  I think this is reasonable - but have a *minor* quibble -
>>
>>  The bulk of what the VCL does (auth/auth, reservations, image
>> storage, image loading, ...) seems to me to be fall under the
>> "provisions" concept - but "brokers" seems to be getting equal
>> emphasis even though it is an added capability. It's an important
>> added capability, but perhaps this slight revision might help:
>
> I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I have always understood "provisioning" to relate to the infrastructure for image storage, capture and loading while "brokering" relates to connecting the virtualization or blade back-end to a user's request, which would include such things as authentication, authorization, reservations, scheduling, etc. I think the two are pretty equal in importance.
>
> Just my $0.02
>
> -Aaron C

That's what I was thinking.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.

Posted by Henry Schaffer <he...@unity.ncsu.edu>.

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
>> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>>> I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
>>> board resolution:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution
>>>
>>> Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
>>> will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
>>> work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
>>> scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
>>> access to compute resources".  Thoughts?
>
> I'm not sure I would not really understand the scope of VCL from that statement.

I agree more should be added.  I kept it short since the example
resolutions suggested on the graduation guide page are very short and
general:
ofbiz: "open-source software related to enterprise automation"

Can we just use the description then?:
"open-source software related to a modular cloud computing platform
which dynamically provisions and brokers remote access to compute
resources"

I have updated the wiki to include this text and also added Alan to
the list of members:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution

I haven't seen a tally message for the chairperson vote.  Once the
vote is closed I'll add my name to the page.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
We need to move this resolution along, if we want to be ready for the next board meeting…

On May 18, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Mark Gardner wrote:

> Andy,
>
> I believe one of the strengths of VCL is in its ability to manage
> software license issues and use roles to manage who has access to
> what. Is this something that should be included or should we save that
> for a later and longer description further down the page.

The resolution does not need to list *all* attributes (or call out particular strengths). It needs to describe the scope of the project. Not overly broad, not overly narrow. Just right… ;-). You don't need to market yourselves. You've proven that there's a community around VCL. That's the important part.

> Mark
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>> I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
>> board resolution:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution
>>
>> Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
>> will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
>> work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
>> scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
>> access to compute resources".  Thoughts?

I'm not sure I would not really understand the scope of VCL from that statement.

<snip>

>> The description is currently "VCL is a management framework for
>> building, dispensing and managing virtual machine images across a set
>> of bare metal machines or systems with an installed virtual machine
>> hypervisor."  I don't think this is quite accurate.  How about "VCL is
>> a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
>> brokers remote access to compute resources."?

I understand that.

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

I'd say to include that part in a longer description.

Josh

On Friday, May 18, 2012 10:51:58 AM Mark Gardner wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I believe one of the strengths of VCL is in its ability to manage
> software license issues and use roles to manage who has access to
> what. Is this something that should be included or should we save that
> for a later and longer description further down the page.
>
> Mark
>
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> > I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
> > board resolution:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolutio
> >
> > Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
> > will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
> > work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
> > scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
> > access to compute resources".  Thoughts?
> >
> > Please check the list of initial members to make sure I didn't leave
> > anyone out.  This list includes both PPMC members and committers,
> > correct?  If we are in agreement that the list will be the committers
> > after graduation, should the status file be changed now?
> >
> > The PPMC members also need to appoint a chair for the project.  I
> > would be willing to do this.  Anyone else interested?
> >
> > Also, 2 more issues regarding the status file:
> > The stock bullets under "Project info" should be removed.
> >
> > The description is currently "VCL is a management framework for
> > building, dispensing and managing virtual machine images across a set
> > of bare metal machines or systems with an installed virtual machine
> > hypervisor."  I don't think this is quite accurate.  How about "VCL is
> > a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
> > brokers remote access to compute resources."?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy
- --
- -------------------------------

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Andy,

--
Mark Gardner

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu>.
Andy,

--
Mark Gardner

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Oops. Moving to vcl-dev rather than vcl-user.

On May 18, 2012, at 10:06 AM, Andy Kurth wrote:

> I have created a Confluence page which we can use to work out the
> board resolution:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Graduation+Board+Resolution
>
> Once we are comfortable with the resolution, one of the PPMC members
> will propose it on the general incubator list.  The areas we need to
> work on are in bold.  We need to define the project description and
> scope.  I wrote this as "dynamically provisioning and brokering remote
> access to compute resources".  Thoughts?
>
> Please check the list of initial members to make sure I didn't leave
> anyone out.  This list includes both PPMC members and committers,
> correct?  If we are in agreement that the list will be the committers
> after graduation, should the status file be changed now?

It would be good to list all current "committers" who aren't on this list. From a quick scan, it looks like bmbouter made some commits in 2009 and isn't included. Which is OK. But from my experience, best to be explicit on these matters, and discuss the criteria used to determine the list. Make sure you're including documentation contributions and mailing list discussions etc.

Alan said he'd follow the project to help insure a smooth graduation. So, I'd add him. You can leave me on the list, also.

No. Don't change status file. Technically, that would require a vote…

> The PPMC members also need to appoint a chair for the project.  I
> would be willing to do this.  Anyone else interested?

I"m happy with the choice of the community.

> Also, 2 more issues regarding the status file:
> The stock bullets under "Project info" should be removed.
>
> The description is currently "VCL is a management framework for
> building, dispensing and managing virtual machine images across a set
> of bare metal machines or systems with an installed virtual machine
> hypervisor."  I don't think this is quite accurate.  How about "VCL is
> a modular cloud computing platform which dynamically provisions and
> brokers remote access to compute resources."?

I'll look at details of the text later… May be next week...

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation - Prepare Board Resolution

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.