Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ziggy <zi...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/09 13:04:12 UTC

Deploying and building a war file

Hi all,

I've got a query on the way web applications are deployed. I have an
application that has several jsp files and serlvets that are in
WEB-INF/classes.

When i deploy the application all i do is do a checkout on CVS, make the
changes, rebuild the war using ANT and redeploy manually. This works fine
but now i am having some doubts on this approach.

Basicaly if i even change one file i have to rebuild the war file meaning i
have to recompile everything. I think this is unecessary. i would like to be
able to just recompile the one file and redeploy the one file without having
to rebuild the whole war file.

1. How do you deploy your application? If you deploy as a war file, do you
recompile everything even if the change is to a single file or a
configuration file.

2. Could you provide an example on the approach you use from the point a
source file comes out from CVS to the point it get to the production
environment. (An example with a single file change would be usefull)

2. Do you use any tool to manage this?

I am thinking that if i change one file i should be able to just compile
that one file and move it to the WEB-INF/classes folder into the relevant
folder. This might work but is there a better way of doing this instead of
moving it manually?

Thanks

RE: Deploying and building a war file

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
ant war task
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/war.html

or maven-war-plugin
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/war-overlay.html
(in the case of maven you MUST adhere to the directory layout suggested)

either build environment will perform these tasks for you
you can ask ant-users list for more information
http://ant.apache.org/mail.html

or maven-users list if you prefer a version specific way to manage the build
http://maven.apache.org/mail-lists.html

Martin Gainty

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Ziggy,

On 11/9/2009 7:04 AM, Ziggy wrote:
> I've got a query on the way web applications are deployed. I have an
> application that has several jsp files and serlvets that are in
> WEB-INF/classes.

JSP files in WEB-INF/classes? Yuk.

> When i deploy the application all i do is do a checkout on CVS, make the
> changes, rebuild the war using ANT and redeploy manually. This works fine
> but now i am having some doubts on this approach.
>
> Basically if i even change one file i have to rebuild the war file meaning i
> have to recompile everything. I think this is unecessary. i would like to be
> able to just recompile the one file and redeploy the one file without having
> to rebuild the whole war file.

Ant's <javac> task should only be compiling source files that have
changed. I'm not sure if the <war> task does a differential update, though.

> 1. How do you deploy your application? If you deploy as a war file, do you
> recompile everything even if the change is to a single file or a
> configuration file.

For real deployments, we even tag the CVS repo :)

In development, we have two different ant targets: 'install' (which does
the whole WAR thing, and then actually un-wars the WAR file into the
deployment directory) and 'quick-install' which just copies files. The
latter results in a much faster deployment. We also have an
'install-web' target which skips compilation altogether so you can
update static content and JSP files and avoid any potential context reloads.

> 2. Could you provide an example on the approach you use from the point a
> source file comes out from CVS to the point it get to the production
> environment. (An example with a single file change would be usefull)

If you're starting with a fresh CVS checkout, how can a single source
file change? Don't you have no .class files at all at that point? Or, do
you guys revision-track your binaries?

> 2. Do you use any tool to manage this?

We use only ant. Maven is starting to be the tool of choice for serious
projects, but I have yet to start using it.

> I am thinking that if i change one file i should be able to just compile
> that one file and move it to the WEB-INF/classes folder into the relevant
> folder. This might work but is there a better way of doing this instead of
> moving it manually?

Ant is your friend: you can always write more targets that do convenient
things for you.

- -chris

RE: Deploying and building a war file

Posted by Karthik Nanjangude <ka...@xius-bcgi.com>.
Hi

>> i have to rebuild the war file meaning
>> have to recompile everything.

I have been using Eclipse / Tomcat  for build deploy and as far as the Compilation is considered correct, But why rebuild the **.war" , Can u write an ANT script to copy the modified *.class or *.jsp or *.properties file to the respective folder  under TOMCAT/WEBAPPS/APPLIC

But u need to restart the TOMCAT if re-loadable flag is not set to true in global "web.xml"

:)
With regards
Karthik

Posted by Ziggy <zi...@gmail.com>.