Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by lejeczek <pe...@yahoo.co.uk.INVALID> on 2018/12/15 18:52:18 UTC

[users@httpd] unable to resolve local(virtual) domain

hi guys

my apache is, for a reason I cannot explain, unable to
resolve domain(virtual host) which is served by local(on the
same box) DNS server.

[core:error] [pid 7251:tid 140307250551040] (EAI 2)Name or
service not known: AH00547: Could not resolve host name
domain.local -- ignoring!

same time:
# sudo -u apache host domain.local
domain.local has address 10.3.1.99

The host's fqdn is: thisdom.local which is also served by
that local DNS server(neither domain/hostname is in /etc/hosts)

In other words this works:

<VirtualHost thisdom.local:443>

but this does not, gets ignored a per error above

<VirtualHost domain.local>

It works if I put ignored domain - domain.local - in
/etc/hosts but I do not want to do that, I want Apache to
rely on DNS.

Bit of a puzzle to me this is. Care to share your thoughts?
Many thanks, L.

Re: [users@httpd] unable to resolve local(virtual) domain

Posted by lejeczek <pe...@yahoo.co.uk.INVALID>.

On 15/12/2018 18:58, Eric Covener wrote:
>> It works if I put ignored domain - domain.local - in
>> /etc/hosts but I do not want to do that, I want Apache to
>> rely on DNS.
>>
>> Bit of a puzzle to me this is. Care to share your thoughts?
> I think part of your OS is outsmarting you and refusing to send DNS
> queries of *.local to a normal DNS server.
> The "host" command is skipping to directly querying DNS.
that is that!. OS resolver config with regards to
bind(named) (on my Fedora at least)
I remember immediately I did it quit a few times in the
past(take notes all the times).
Many thanks for bringing that up.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.