Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by cryptearth <cr...@cryptearth.de> on 2020/02/19 22:12:33 UTC

NB 11.2 change default project path

So, as I had to recover from a hard disk crash I had NB 11.2 set up
again but didn't got any dialog about default project folder. As I got
through google this has to be done manual by editing the file
projectui.properties located in
userhome/appdata/roaming/netbeans/11.2/config/preferences/org/netbeans/modules.
I have found several topics as early as NB 6.x.

Two simple questions:
1) Why and why wasn't there any change since at least NB 6.x?
2) Is there any hidden way to change this via the GUI?

There're several other things the GUI doesn't handle as it should, for
example allow setting target java version below 6 when a compiler
version 11 or higher is used, as since v11 compiling is only supported
down to v6 -> compile failure. Isn't an IDE supposed to give a developer
some convenience? As far as I got into the overhead Netbeans require I'm
not sure if it's the right IDE for me - but I couldn't get Eclipse to
even launch properly, let alone set up a project.

Matt

Re: NB 11.2 change default project path

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Maven does this as well, and there are configurations (as well as
command line options) to manage this.

I would not be happy with a tool that changed the pom.xml or it's
meaning. I like that I get a warning, and then I get to decide how to
address it.

For me, managing JDK versions by using Tools->Java Platforms works as
long as I'm in the IDE. For a more robust solution, Maven provides
documentation on how to manage multiple (and appropriate) JDK installations.

. . . just my two cents.
/mde/

On 2/20/2020 4:15 AM, Emilian Bold wrote:
> [...]
>> for the past three decades where you have a menu bar, starting with
>> File, then Edit, then maybe some more, and end with Extras and Help -
>> and to just put an "options" or "settings" into one of those - and offer
>> the same settings dialog as mentioned before? How old is Netbeans? 15+
>> years? And it's menus are that - sorry to say it this directly:
>> immature? It's like an early not feature complete alpha where someone
>> couldn't decide just where to put it.
>> Back to modern days: Java 11 doesn't allow compiling for Java 5 any
>> more. It's a simple if() just to check for the version of the compiler -
>> and if it's 11 or above set the minimum target compiling level to at
>> least 6 and disable any lower versions. C'mon - don't tell me 100s of
>> devs could get this done in the time this exists.
>> All made fun about me cause I'm using just a simple editor with some
>> basic syntax highlight and a terminal to compile. If I see what a mess
>> and overhead all this fancy IDEs and build-tools costs - wich in fact
>> they're supposed to do for the dev - not in addition to it - what's the
>> benefit of wasting time to figure out how to get around simplest fails
>> done in every beginners for dummies book?
>>
>> I'm done with it - back to the old style - that at least did what I told
>> to do ..
>>
>> Am 20.02.2020 um 03:45 schrieb Mark Eggers:
>>> First of all, I'm just a happy NetBeans user.
>>>
>>> Second of all, this is just my opinion.
>>>
>>> So let me try to understand your problem first.
>>>
>>> 1. You crashed what appears to be a Windows data and programs disk
>>>
>>> This is different than where your user profile is stored. I understand
>>> this, since I do the same thing to minimize usage of a small OS SSD
>> drive.
>>>
>>> 2. You reinstalled NetBeans on a new disk
>>>
>>> 3. You recovered your NetBeans projects on a new disk
>>>
>>> The problem is that the 'Recent Projects' list links to the wrong
>>> location. I'm guessing that this is the case since either drive letters
>>> have changed or directories have changed.
>>>
>>> In addition, there may be a lot of issues with the cache.
>>>
>>> The best solution is to:
>>>
>>> 1. Ignore the 'Recent Projects' list until you've opened 10 or more
>> projects
>>>
>>> As Gj has pointed out, editing the projectui.properties file is not
>>> something that should be done. I confess that I've done it, but it's not
>>> trivial.
>>>
>>> Just don't do it.
>>>
>>> 2. Before starting NetBeans, delete the cache directory.
>>>
>>> In short, both will be rebuilt properly by NetBeans as you use the IDE.
>>>
>>> As to your setting a target below 6 with JDK 11: - you can't. This is a
>>> JDK limitation.
>>>
>>> If you want to compile (and be proper) a J2EE 2.5 project, with source
>>> and target set to 1.5 (in Maven parlance), then you have one option that
>>> I can see.
>>>
>>> a. Install JDK / JRE 8 along with JDK / JRE 11.
>>> b. In Tools->Java Platforms, register the JDK 8 platform

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Wow, awesome.

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I love this thread, how it developed will be the basis of several sessions
I will be doing — essentially about everything that is truly good and truly
bad about open source (i.e., shared ownership) development.

Gj

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
On 2/25/2020 10:39 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 18:18, Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> wrote:
>> And to close the loop. The latest directory used is saved/used. It's
>> stashed as a preference at /org/netbeans/modules/projectui keyed with
>> projectsFolder.
> Have you tried that?  If it actually worked consistently I don't think
> anyone would have an issue here! ;-)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Sadly it doesn't work with a clean userdir. And I'm not sure I could
verify that *every* new project action goes through that path. Finally,
I'm not sure that there's anything that someone wouldn't have an issue with.

-ernie

Re: NB 11.2 change default project path

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
I haven't known this one either. Just spent  one minute to dig it up
from the source code.

My method was:

1. Search for "NetBeansProjects" in all properties which throw one
Bundle.properties file in Project UI module the key was DIR_NetBeansProjects
2. Search the java files from project UI sources for
DIR_NetBeansProjects, that way I had the code. All I needed to do is
read it, found the system property
3. Post that in this thread.

Posted by joe foe <jf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I did not know that - cool!

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Start Netbeans with:

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 at 07:27, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sure, create an issue and this could be something we implement. I don’t think anyone has asked for this before but it makes sense to me. In the Options window, it should be possible to specify the location of the folder where projects are created by default. I agree completely, just had never thought about it before.

I'm not sure this requires any more UI to confuse users.  At one point
didn't NetBeans remember the last place you created a project?!  That
would probably be more intuitive.

I admire your patience on this one! ;-)  Attitudes like the OP's on
any open-source project I'm volunteering my time to generally get
thrown in the trash pile.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: NB 11.2 change default project path