Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by amit khatri <am...@hotmail.com> on 2002/03/08 22:06:15 UTC

running apache as a root

I have to run apache server as a root, so that it can run some

commands , which only root can run. ( ipchains, add route....)

I tried adding following line in apache.conf file :

user root
group apache

but the msg was :-

   Apache is not designed to to serve pages while running as root.
   if you still want to serve the pages as root then
   add -DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE to your EXTRA_CFLAGS line in your
   src/Configuration file and rebuild the server.

I could not understand what it means ,
Is there any other simple method.

cheers

Amit Khatri