Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "Michael Nielsen (Info)" <mi...@dsb.dk> on 2002/11/28 14:23:12 UTC

transform of empty elements

Hi

I have this problem when using I.E. 6 for displaying parsed XHTML.

Take this for instance:

The above will be parsed as:

Guess what! I.E.6 displays this af a textarea with the </td></tr> as content
inside.

My question is, how do I make the parser understand to leave tags the way
they are without parsing to empty tags?

I use the org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.

Thanx in advance

/Michael

RE: transform of empty elements

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 02:55, Antony Quinn wrote:
> Michael,
>
> I had a similar problem with <script> tags in IE.
>
> Xerces (quite rightly) converts <script src="some.js"></script> to <script
> src="some.js"/>. This is fine in Mozilla but IE won't accept it.
>
> The only solution I found is to be a full-top (period) between the tags, ie:
> <script src="some.js">.</script>
>
> I guess you don't want to have full-stops or other characters appearing
> between your <textarea> tags.
>
> Does anyone have a better solution?
>
> Regards/mvh,
>
> Antony

Well, perhaps you could put some whitespace between the opening and
closing tags, then set preserve-space to true for the troublesome
elements? That might prevent the serializer from coalescing the begin
and end tags.

Cheers,

Simon

RE: transform of empty elements