Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mi...@schange.com on 2006/10/05 14:10:15 UTC

Replacing soft links with another file type

Sent this of yesterday as my first post and didn't get a response so maybe
I'm sending to the wrong address. ;-)

If I have a soft link that I want to replace with a regular file, I have
to replace it with two commits, one after the delete and another after the
add, or else I get an error committing.

Fairly new at Subversion so maybe I'm missing something. Searched the
archives, but only found link problems relating to cross environments This
is all Linux.

Subversion Versions:
Client: 1.4.0
Server 1.3.2

Thanks for any help. It's a great product.
Mike

Command sequence:

 ls -l route
 route -> ../bin/busybox

svn del route
D         route

cp rfs/sbin/route .
svn stat
~      route

svn add route
A  (bin)  route
svn status
~      route

svn commit -m "Replacing link with binary"

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Entry '/home/mvm/sb/fsi102/ramdisk_fsi/sbin/route' has unexpectedly
changed special status

svn del route
svn: 'route' is in the way of the resource actually under version control

rm route
svn status
!      route

svn del route
D         route
svn stat
D      route

svn commit -m "Replacing link with binary"
Deleting       sbin/route

Committed revision 452.

Re: Replacing soft links with another file type

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 10/5/06, Michael.McElroy@schange.com <Mi...@schange.com> wrote:

> Sent this of yesterday as my first post and didn't get a response so maybe
> I'm sending to the wrong address. ;-)
>
> If I have a soft link that I want to replace with a regular file, I have to
> replace it with two commits, one after the delete and another after the add,
> or else I get an error committing.
>
> Fairly new at Subversion so maybe I'm missing something. Searched the
> archives, but only found link problems relating to cross environments This
> is all Linux.
>
> Subversion Versions:
>  Client: 1.4.0
>  Server 1.3.2
>
>  Thanks for any help. It's a great product.
>  Mike
>
> Command sequence:
>
>  ls -l route
>  route -> ../bin/busybox
>
>  svn del route
>  D         route
>
>  cp rfs/sbin/route .
>  svn stat
>  ~      route
>
>  svn add route
>  A  (bin)  route
>  svn status
>  ~      route
>
> svn commit -m "Replacing link with binary"
>
>  svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>  svn: Entry '/home/mvm/sb/fsi102/ramdisk_fsi/sbin/route'
> has unexpectedly changed special status
>
>  svn del route
>  svn: 'route' is in the way of the resource actually under version control
>
>  rm route
>  svn status
>  !      route
>
>  svn del route
>  D         route
>  svn stat
>  D      route
>
>  svn commit -m "Replacing link with binary"
>  Deleting       sbin/route
>
>  Committed revision 452.

Looks like a bug to me.  Would you mind filing it in the issue tracker
so it doesn't get forgotten about?

-garrett