Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by lekha_dipika <le...@yahoo.co.in> on 2017/05/15 06:00:14 UTC

solr LTR edismax features very slow and cause timeouts

I am trying to use the SOLR LTR plugin to train a machine learning model for
my application. One of the features I require for my model is edismax score
of my query over a set of index fields.

The way I have created the feature is as follows:

{  "store":"sampleFeatureStore",
   "name" : "edismax_feature",
   "class" : "org.apache.solr.ltr.feature.SolrFeature",
   "params" : { "q" : "{!edismax qf=\"field1 field2 field3 field4\"
}${user_query}" }
 }

field1 ... field4 are text fields with some analyzers performing
tokenization, lowercasing etc.

While this feature gives me the edismax scores I desire, however, on load
testing my entire setup, presence of these features increased latency
conderably and I could see timeouts in the logs for many queries.  (The
request took too long to iterate over terms) I also saw my CPU usage and JVM
memory use increase.

Without this feature things were stable and load testing was fine.

I have 2 collections in my solr setup with 25M and 2M docs respectively.
Load testing involved sending 200 queries per minute.