Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2014/12/17 21:48:42 UTC

Enabling Git Mirror (was RE: Subscribed)

Done.

 - Dennis

PS: I had no trouble making a clone and having both branches.  Either way, let's see if the presence of this master allows the mirror to be created.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Thanks dennis.

I just tried to do a normal "git clone git://
git.apache.org/incubator-corinthia.git" and that worked perfect.

Now I need to understand why we are not getting mirrored to github, but
that looks like a infra problem (at least to explain why it happens).

rgds
jan i.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
The mirror is up and running on GitHub at <https://github.com/apache/incubator-corinthia>.

And, indeed, the master branch is shown by default.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 18 Dec 2014, at 7:00 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> Well ...
>
> We can easily revert the warning page I made on "master" and then merge "developer" to master.
>
> That has them both in the same state and we can decide which way we want to go from there, yes?
>
> Let's stand back until we hear from Peter.

I’m ok with using master instead of develop for our main development branch. We just need to make note of this in our wiki to avoid confusion; the name “master” is ambiguous as some people (such as me) traditionally consider it to be the stable branch, while others think of it as a development branch. As long as we all understand its purpose it doesn’t matter what we call it, and probably “master” will cause less problems with (broken) tools that assume it always exists.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

RE: Enabling Git Mirror (was RE: Subscribed)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 17/12/2014 jan i wrote:
> @andrea I know you are pressed for time, which makes your mail even more
> important to me, looking forward to see you in FOSDEM. Do you know when the
> talks will be accepted/rejected ?

We will surely respect the schedule described at
https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_talks_open_document
(in case it's unreachable due to maintenance: we will notify speakers by
28 December), but if we manage it might be a few days earlier.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Enabling Git Mirror (was RE: Subscribed)

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I had no trouble making a clone and having both branches.  Either
>> way, let's see if the presence of this master allows the mirror to be
>> created.
>>

> Hi, I've been here from the beginning but I never had the time to
> introduce myself (and this counts as an introduction: done!).
>
> When I saw Peter was going to recreate the repository, I wanted to ask him
> to remove incorrect attribution that I may have done on the pre-incubation
> Github project... Peter was faster than me, but from the log it seems that
> everything is fine, thank you!
>
> Coming to the topic and trying not to be too late for once: I would
> recommend another option. There are broken tools around that will only
> count commits on the master branch: a "fake" master branch will result in
> Corinthia to appear inactive. I would suggest "master" as the development
> branch; if not, using it for stable is fine, but living without master (or
> worse, with a fake master as it is now) will cause problems with the many
> external tools that assume there is a master branch.

thanks for the introduction, and thanks for being here. You are absolutely
spot on time !

You have some very serious arguments why we should keep master alive, which
I admit I never thought about. I would be happy to have master == develop,
and keep stable as we defined it.

@peter, you suggested not to use master, what is your opinion ?

as a little funny thing it seems the asf git bridge is one of the broken
tools, cloning worked as soon as we added a master branch.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.