Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Anderson <sa...@ttm.com> on 2001/04/23 22:43:26 UTC

Strange problem with classloader

Hi all,

I'm using the Catalina distributed with Turbine. However, I don't
believe this is a Turbine problem.

This afternoon I shut Catalina down, went to lunch, and when I started
Catalina back up all of my servlets generated the following error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class
org.apache.turbine.Turbine or a class it depends on
[...]
Root cause:
[...]
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.turbine.Turbine

As I said, these servlets were working fine before I shut it down.

I have since:
1) reverted my Catalina to a known working backup copy
2) reverted ALL of my source (the servlets) to known working backup
copies
3) switched out the JVM (IBM 1.3 to Sun 1.2.2)
4) installed a completely new copy of the Turbine TDK/Catalina
distribution from scratch and built a new Turbine test application

None of the above worked, and I'm at my wit's end. The servlets are all
contained in WAR directories under CATALINA_HOME/webapps. The class that
Catalina is complaining about is in a jar file in the WEB-INF/lib
directory of each of the servlets. I can't for the life of me see why it
won't find it.

This is under RedHat Linux 6.1, incidentally.

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

-scott