Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com> on 2002/10/23 08:39:08 UTC

Re: [Fwd: Regarding your comment about inline building on xsl-editors]

Hi Peter and others,

The answer appears to be a clarification of the the spec authors had in
the minds when writing it.

The answer is what I was originally thinking it meant, that is that a
block area under an inline is not wrapped by an inline area but rather
the block area becomes a sibling of the lines areas created for the
inline areas.
so:
<block>
</block>

is the same as:
<block>
<inline>some text </inline>
<block>a block</block>
<inline> more text</inline>
</block>

The block may inherit some properties from the inline but it is not
wrapped by the properties of the inline or wrapped by an inline area
that has traits.

Here are some references that I could find:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=97951301002986&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=102011250524180&w=2

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 15:55, Peter B. West wrote:
> Keiron,
>
> Thanks, and thanks for the references.  I haven't had time to look at
> this in detail yet, but I will as soon as possible.  Do you feel as
> queasy about this as I do?

Hi Peter,

Either way seems quite awkward to me, depending on what view you look at
it from.

It sort of makes sense in particular ways but it is also confusing. Even
though the block area is within an inline area and you might think it is
contained by things like background, link.
On the other side having a block constrained to a line area is difficult
to work out how that should be handled in various situations.

I suppose it needs to go one way or the other.

Keiron

Re: [Fwd: Regarding your comment about inline building on xsl-editors]

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Keiron,

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/