Posted to user@flink.apache.org by John O <so...@samsung.com> on 2018/08/08 23:38:58 UTC

flink telemetry/metrics

I'm working on getting a flink job into production. As part of the production requirement, I need telemetry/metrics insight into my flink job. I have followed instructions in
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.5/monitoring/metrics.html

- Added the flink graphite jar to taskmanager/jobmanager lib folder
- confligured flink-conf.yaml to enable graphite reporter
- Added a simple counter in my flink code

When I submit the job, I can see my counter show up in the flink web ui's Task Metrics section. But the counter does not show up in Graphite.  Also, the metrics that actually make it to Graphite doesn't seems like it's published properly.

Is anyone actually using Graphite Reporter? What is your experience? What am I missing?

Re: flink telemetry/metrics

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
How often is the warning logged? The default reporting interval is 10
seconds, if a report is interrupted it can take a while for metrics to
show up.

Could this also be caused by the MAX_CREATES_PER_MINUTE setting in
carbon.conf being set too low?

RE: flink telemetry/metrics

Posted by John O <so...@samsung.com>.
I have tried two reporter types (Graphite, JMX)

Graphite
metrics.reporters: grph
metrics.reporter.grph.class: org.apache.flink.metrics.graphite.GraphiteReporter
metrics.reporter.grph.host: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
metrics.reporter.grph.port: 2003
metrics.reporter.grph.protocol: TCP

What I see on graphite are incomplete metrics. Some taskIdx (same process) will show different sets of metrics. For example,

-          Sink->test

-          0: currentInputWatermark, numRecordsIn

-          1: numRecordsOutPerSecond

-          2: numRecordsIn, numRecordsOut

-          4: currentInputWatermark

I would expect seeing

-          Sink->test

-          0: currentInputWatermark, numRecordsIn, numRecordsOut, numRecordsOutPerSecond, numRecordsInPerSecond...

-          1: currentInputWatermark, numRecordsIn, numRecordsOut, numRecordsOutPerSecond, numRecordsInPerSecond...

-          2: currentInputWatermark, numRecordsIn, numRecordsOut, numRecordsOutPerSecond, numRecordsInPerSecond...

-          4: currentInputWatermark, numRecordsIn, numRecordsOut, numRecordsOutPerSecond, numRecordsInPerSecond...

[cid:image002.png@01D432FF.AE632750]

[...]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

I am using flink 1.5.1

J.

Re: flink telemetry/metrics

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.