Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl> on 2007/11/28 15:49:21 UTC

S2.1.1 question on validation ...

hi,

I am trying to introduce a validation rule that checks that at least one
element has been
added to an optiontransferselect UI component. I use the expression type
validation but
does not seem to work ... see the details below.

<field name="outSamplePeriods">
   <field-validator type="fieldexpression">
      <param name="expression"><![CDATA[ (outSamplePeriods.length > 0)
]]></param>
      <message><![CDATA[ At least one Out of Sample Period must be
provided ]]></message>
    </field-validator>
</field>

TIA,
regards,
Giovanni

************************ page.jsp **************************

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"%>
<%@ taglib prefix="s" uri="/struts-tags"%>
<%@ taglib prefix="sx" uri="/struts-dojo-tags" %>

<s:form action="TradingIdea@create" method="get" theme="%{currentTheme}">
    <s:optiontransferselect
        tooltip="Select all Out-of-Sample Period Ranges corresponding to
this Trading Idea"
        label="Out-of-Sample Periods"
        leftTitle="All Periods"
        rightTitle="Selected Periods"
        name="allPeriodRanges"
        list="defaultAllPeriodRanges"
        doubleName="outSamplePeriods"
        doubleList="defaultOutSamplePeriods"
        size="1" multiple="false"
        doubleSize="5" doubleMultiple="true"
        allowAddAllToLeft="false"
        allowAddAllToRight="false"
        allowSelectAll="false"
        allowUpDownOnLeft="false"
        allowUpDownOnRight="false"
    />
    <s:submit value="Create" align="center"/>
</s:form>

************************ TradingIdea-validation.xml
***************************

<!DOCTYPE validators PUBLIC "-//OpenSymphony Group//XWork Validator
1.0.2//EN" "http://www.opensymphony.com/xwork/xwork-validator-1.0.2.dtd">

<!--  START VALIDATOR: TradingIdea -->

<validators>
    <field name="name">
        <field-validator type="requiredstring">
            <message>Name must be provided</message>
        </field-validator>
    </field>
    <field name="template">
        <field-validator type="requiredstring">
            <message>Template value must be provided</message>
        </field-validator>
    </field>
    <field name="grouping">
        <field-validator type="requiredstring">
            <message>Grouping criteria must be provided e.g. DAILY</message>
        </field-validator>
    </field>
    <field name="inSamplePeriod">
        <field-validator type="requiredstring">
            <message>In Sample Period must be provided</message>
        </field-validator>
    </field>
    <field name="outSamplePeriods">
        <field-validator type="fieldexpression">
            <param name="expression"><![CDATA[ (outSamplePeriods.length
 > 0) ]]></param>
            <message><![CDATA[ At least one Out of Sample Period must be
provided ]]></message>
        </field-validator>
    </field>
    <field name="utilityFormulas">
        <field-validator type="fieldexpression">
            <param name="expression"><![CDATA[ (utilityFormulas.length >
0) ]]></param>
            <message><![CDATA[ At least one Utility Formula must be
provided ]]></message>
        </field-validator>
    </field>
</validators>

<!--  END VALIDATOR: TradingIdea  -->

Re: S2.1.1 question on validation ...

Posted by Giovanni Azua <gi...@imc.nl>.
hi,

I managed to have it working with the following validation rule:

<validator type="required">
  <param name="fieldName">outSamplePeriods</param>
  <message>At least one Out of Sample Period must be provided</message>
</validator>

it displays the message under the <s:fielderror/> entry but does not
display a message on top of the right field name ... how can I have that?

TIA,
regards,
Giovanni