Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2013/09/06 23:54:55 UTC

Approaching release : Jena 2.11.0

We're working towards a release.

This will be Jena 2.11.0 and Fuseki 1.0.0.

This release includes several new things:
   (all links are to the staging site)

* New website design
   http://jena.staging.apache.org/
   with thanks to Samuel Croset

* Text search
   http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/query/text-query.html

* Spatial search
   http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/query/spatial-query.html
   developed by Google summer of code student, Ying Jiang.

* SPARQL over JDBC
   http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/jdbc/index.html
   developed by Rob Vesse

* Security policy module
   http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/security/
   developed by Claude Warren

In addition, SDB will become part of release process and not a separate
download.  SDB includes an adapter to SAP HANA contributed by Fergal
Monaghan.

	Andy

Re: Approaching release : Jena 2.11.0

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 06/09/13 23:20, Charles Li wrote:
> Is there a release time yet?

We don't have fixed plans - this isn't a resourced project that can
commit to plans.  People contribute.  Things happen when they happen.
Any plans would be wrong about 30 seconds after deciding them!

Projects are highly independent at Apache.  The Jena community is
responsible for Jena - no one else.  The large projects (httpd, Hadoops,
tomcat, ...) can make (and stick to) schedules because they have more
resources.

When it's an incremental release (2.10.0->2.10.1), the work is usually
just to execute the process.  This is our process:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JENA/Release+Process

This is a big release with several new things going to the build all at
the same time and we're not at the stage of build able to do the final
build.

All this gets discussed on the dev@ list.

What you can do to help is to test the snapshots in anyway you can and
report success or issues arising.  Do subscribe and join in the fun.

In an Apache project, anyone can call for a release at any time; they
have to persuade people it's a good idea.  "Anyone" does mean only
committer or PMC member - it really is anyone.  That "anyone" has to
convince people it is a good time to release and they have to do the
release work, then call the VOTE.

Jena operates on a "clean trunk" policy - the svn trunk should always
build.  That's what the snapshots are:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/jena/

and they get built and tested every night (actually about 8am UTC).

This is our Jenkins setup:
https://builds.apache.org/user/andy/my-views/view/Jena/

(and if you see a build with a maven error code of 143, that means it
succeeded! We don't know why this occasionally happens.)

Any formal release, not a snapshot, is officially the source code, not
the binaries (jars files, Fuseki server etc).  The official release is
the signed source-release zip file in the
http://www.apache.org/dist/jena/source area.  Binaries are optional extras!

The project uses maven for binary distribution, and it's that actually
imposes the additional condition it has to be a committer who does the
release because the build goes via Apache Nexus server.

	Andy

Posted by Charles Li <ch...@gmail.com>.
Is there a release time yet?

Posted by Arthur Vaïsse-Lesteven <ar...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi Claude,

For explanations, I'm on the end of a 6 month job, and during this time a big point of my work was a security module for triplestore, based on JENA API.

Seeing the news, that Jena will get a new module for security policy management, I want to know how this module will work to prepare migration from mine to Jena solution ( preparing migration before the end of the project :') ).

So I asked how your security policy module works in order to prepare the field to my workmate (this phrase is probably bad in English, but I don't know how to say that...).

At last, let me answer again, can you provide me please some additional bibliographic references that are used as base to propose this implementation ? Do you used the W3C WAC working group guidance ? Do you used some other recommendations/publications ?

I'm really interested !

VAISSE-LESTEVEN Arthur.

________________________________
 De : Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>
À : users@jena.apache.org; Arthur Vaïsse-Lesteven <ar...@yahoo.fr>
Envoyé le : Lundi 9 septembre 2013 10h31
Objet : Re: Approaching release : Jena 2.11.0

Arthur,

The Security module does not provide an implementation of the Security
Evaluator (other than in the example code).  The Security Evaluator
implementation determines how the security policy is encoded.  The reason
for this is that different applications require different security policies.

In the example code the security policy is that only the sender and the
receiver of a message may see the message.  In a different system user may
have a graph that they can update and all graphs are merged to answer
queries.  I have seen other cases where there were interactions with groups
defined in the authentication system to determine if a user could see a
specific triple.  All of these are implementable in the SecurityEvaluator
implementation.

What are your requirements?

Claude

--