Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tom White <to...@apache.org> on 2011/06/17 19:15:19 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Bigtop for incubation

As there are no active discussions on the proposal thread, I would
like to initiate a vote to accept Bigtop as an Apache Incubator
project.

The proposal is available at

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BigtopProposal?action=recall&rev=13

I've also put a copy of the proposal at the end of this email.

The discussion thread is available at

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTimriyVS5G5MAKLQviNAUZ9H6S5hWw@mail.gmail.com%3E

Please cast your votes:

[  ] +1 Accept Bigtop for incubation
[  ] +0 Indifferent to Bigtop incubation
[  ] -1 Reject Bigtop for incubation

This vote will close 72 hours from now.

Thanks,
Tom

= Bigtop - Apache Hadoop Ecosystem Packaging and Test =

== Abstract ==

Bigtop - a project for the development of packaging and tests of the
Hadoop ecosystem.

== Proposal ==

The primary goal of Bigtop is to build a community around the
packaging and interoperability testing of Hadoop-related projects.
This includes testing at various levels (packaging, platform, runtime,
upgrade, etc...) developed by a community with a focus on the system
as a whole, rather than individual projects.

Build, packaging and integration test code that depends upon official
releases of the Apache Hadoop-related projects (HDFS, MapReduce,
HBase, Hive, Pig, ZooKeeper, etc...) will be developed and released by
this project. As bugs and other issues are found we expect these to be
fixed upstream.

== Background ==

The initial packaging and test code for Bigtop was developed by
Cloudera to package projects from the Apache Hadoop ecosystem and
provide a consistent, inter-operable framework.

== Rationale ==

Hadoop defines itself as:

{{{
The Apache Hadoop project develops open-source software for reliable,
scalable, distributed computing. Hadoop includes these subprojects:

* Hadoop Common: The common utilities that support the other Hadoop subprojects.
* HDFS: A distributed file system that provides high throughput access
to application data.
* MapReduce: A software framework for distributed processing of large
data sets on compute clusters.
}}}

There are also several other Hadoop-related projects at Apache.  Some
TLP examples include HBase, Hive, Mahout, ZooKeeper, and Pig.  There
are also several new projects in the Incubator such as HCatalog, Hama
and Sqoop.

>From a packaging and deployment perspective, the current
loosely-coupled nature of the project has limitations:
 1. Insufficient building against trunk versions of dependent projects
(in the style of Apache Gump).
 1. Insufficient testing against the trunk versions of dependent projects.
 1. No consistent packaging for the Linux servers which provide the
main Hadoop datacenter platform.
 1. No functional testing against multi-machine clusters as part of
the regular automated build process. This is due to a lack of a
physical or virtual Hadoop cluster for testing, and not enough test
suites designed to run against a live cluster with known datasets.

The intent of this project is to build a community where the projects
are brought together, packaged, and tested for interoperability.

Projects such as Apache Whirr (incubating), which deploy and use a
collection of Hadoop-related projects, would benefit from the
interoperability testing done by Bigtop, rather than picking and
testing project combinations themselves.

== Initial Goals ==

Much of the code for Bigtop has been released by Cloudera under the
Apache 2.0 license for over two years.

Some current goals include:
 * create a set of packages for the Hadoop ecosystem, over a wide
range of platforms
 * interoperability test these projects
 * document project sets that are known to work well together

Bigtop’s release artifact would consist of a single tarball of
packaging and test code that, when built, would produce source and
binary Linux packages for the upstream projects.

= Current Status =

== Meritocracy ==

Bigtop was originally developed and released as an open source
packaging infrastructure, CDH, by Cloudera.

== Community ==

The community is primarily the original developers at Cloudera,
however a number of contributions to the packaging specifications have
been accepted from outside contributors. Growing a diverse community
is the main reason to bring Bigtop to the Apache Incubator.

== Core Developers ==

The core developers for Bigtop project are:
 * Andrew Bayer has extensive expertise with build tools, specifically
Jenkins continuous integration and Maven.
 * Peter Linnell has contributed to the RPM packaging.
 * Bruno Mahé has overseen much of the development of the RPM and
Debian packaging system.
 * Roman Shaposhnik and Konstantin Boudnik designed and implemented
the system testing framework.

Many of the committers to the Bigtop project have contributed towards
Hadoop or related Apache projects (Alejandro Abdelnur, Konstantin
Boudnik, Eli Collins, Alan Gates, Patrick Hunt, Steve Loughran, Owen
O'Malley, John Sichi, Michael Stack, Tom White) and are familiar with
Apache principals and philosophy for community driven software
development.

== Alignment ==

We expect projects in Bigtop to be drawn from Hadoop and related
projects at Apache. Bigtop will complement these projects (Hadoop,
Pig, Hive, HBase, etc...) by providing an environment for contributors
interested in building more complex data processing pipelines to work
together integrating more than a single project into a well-tested
whole.

= Known Risks =

== Orphaned Products ==

The contributors are leading vendors of Hadoop-based technologies and
have a long standing in the Hadoop community. There is minimal risk of
this work becoming non-strategic and the contributors are confident
that a larger community will form within the project in a relatively
short space of time.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==

All code developed for Bigtop has been open sourced under the Apache
2.0 license. Most committers of Bigtop project are intimately familiar
with the Apache model for open-source development and are experienced
with working with new contributors.

== Homogeneous Developers ==

The initial set of committers is from a small set of organizations and
numerous existing Apache projects. We expect that once approved for
incubation, the project will attract new contributors from more
organizations and will thus grow organically.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==

It is expected that Bigtop will be developed on salaried and volunteer
time, although all of the initial developers will work on it mainly on
salaried time.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==

Bigtop depends upon other Apache Projects including Apache Hadoop,
Apache HBase, Apache Hive, Apache Pig, Apache Zookeeper, Apache
Thrift, Apache Avro, Apache Whirr. The build system uses Apache Ant
and Apache Maven.

== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==

We would like Bigtop to become an Apache project to further foster a
healthy community of contributors and consumers around
interoperability, testing and packaging of Hadoop projects. Since
Bigtop directly interacts with many Apache Hadoop-related projects and
solves important problems of many Hadoop users, residing in the the
Apache Software Foundation will increase interaction with the larger
community.

= Documentation =

 * Bigtop will develop its own documentation detailing how to build,
test, install, configure and debug.

= Initial Source =

 * https://github.com/cloudera/bigtop

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

 * The initial source is already licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

https://github.com/cloudera/bigtop

== External Dependencies ==

The required external dependencies are all Apache License or
compatible licenses.

== Cryptography ==

Bigtop doesn't use cryptography itself, however Hadoop projects use
standard APIs and tools for SSH and SSL communication where necessary.

= Required  Resources =

== Mailing lists ==

 * bigtop-private (with moderated subscriptions)
 * bigtop-dev
 * bigtop-commits
 * bigtop-user

== Subversion Directory ==

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop

== Issue Tracking ==

JIRA BIGTOP (Bigtop)

== Other Resources ==

The existing code already has unit and integration tests so we would
like a Jenkins instance to run them whenever a new patch is submitted.
This can be added after project creation.

To test RPM & deb install/uninstall and upgrade, it is useful to have
a set of Virtual Machine images in known states, and servers that can
bring them up. It should be possible to use Apache Whirr to
choreograph the VM setup/teardown, so these tests could be performed
against VMs on developer desktops or large scale VM-hosting platforms.
For the latter, VM hosting time would be appreciated.

= Initial Committers =

 * Alejandro Abdelnur (tucu at cloudera dot com)
 * Andre Arcilla (arcilla at yahoo-inc dot com)
 * Andrew Bayer (abayer at cloudera dot com)
 * Konstantin Boudnik (cos at apache dot org)
 * Eli Collins (eli at apache dot org)
 * Travis Crawford (travis at twitter dot com)
 * Bruno Mahé (bruno at cloudera dot com)
 * Alan Gates (gates at apache dot org)
 * Patrick Hunt (phunt at apache dot org)
 * Peter Linnell (plinnell at cloudera dot com)
 * Steve Loughran (stevel at apache dot org)
 * Owen O'Malley (omalley at apache dot org)
 * James Page (James.page at canonical dot com)
 * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at cloudera dot com)
 * John Sichi (jvs at apache dot org)
 * Michael Stack (stack at apache dot org)
 * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)
 * Andrei Savu (asavu at apache dot org)
 * Edward J. Yoon (edwardyoon at apache dot org)

= Affiliations =

 * Alejandro Abdelnur, Cloudera
 * Andre Arcilla, Yahoo! Inc.
 * Andrew Bayer, Cloudera
 * Konstantin Boudnik, free lancer
 * Eli Collins, Cloudera
 * Travis Crawford, Twitter
 * Bruno Mahé, Cloudera
 * Alan Gates, Yahoo!
 * Patrick Hunt, Cloudera
 * Peter Linnell, Cloudera
 * Steve Loughran, HP Laboratories
 * Owen O'Malley, Yahoo!
 * James Page, Canonical
 * Roman Shaposhnik, Cloudera
 * John Sichi, Facebook
 * Michael Stack, StumbleUpon
 * Tom White, Cloudera
 * Andrei Savu, Adobe
 * Edward J. Yoon, Korea Telecom

= Sponsors =

== Champion ==

 * Patrick Hunt

== Nominated Mentors ==

 * Patrick Hunt
 * Tom White
 * Owen O'Malley
 * Alan Gates
 * Steve Loughran

== Sponsoring Entity ==

 * Apache Incubator PMC

Re: [VOTE] Accept Bigtop for incubation

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (binding)

Alan.

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding).

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

> [...]

> = Initial Committers =
>
>  * Alejandro Abdelnur (tucu at cloudera dot com)
>  * Andre Arcilla (arcilla at yahoo-inc dot com)
>  * Andrew Bayer (abayer at cloudera dot com)
>  * Konstantin Boudnik (cos at apache dot org)
>  * Eli Collins (eli at apache dot org)
>  * Travis Crawford (travis at twitter dot com)
>  * Bruno Mahé (bruno at cloudera dot com)
>  * Alan Gates (gates at apache dot org)
>  * Patrick Hunt (phunt at apache dot org)
>  * Peter Linnell (plinnell at cloudera dot com)
>  * Steve Loughran (stevel at apache dot org)
>  * Owen O'Malley (omalley at apache dot org)
>  * James Page (James.page at canonical dot com)
>  * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at cloudera dot com)
>  * John Sichi (jvs at apache dot org)
>  * Michael Stack (stack at apache dot org)
>  * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)
>  * Andrei Savu (asavu at apache dot org)
>  * Edward J. Yoon (edwardyoon at apache dot org)

thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] Accept Bigtop for incubation

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 06/17/2011 11:15 AM, Tom White wrote:
> The discussion thread is available at
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTimriyVS5G5MAKLQviNAUZ9H6S5hWw@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> [  ] +1 Accept Bigtop for incubation
> [  ] +0 Indifferent to Bigtop incubation
> [  ] -1 Reject Bigtop for incubation

+1 (binding).

Cheers,

-- leif

Re: [VOTE] Accept Bigtop for incubation

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1 (binding)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Tom White <to...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> = Initial Committers =
>>
>>  * Alejandro Abdelnur (tucu at cloudera dot com)
>>  * Andre Arcilla (arcilla at yahoo-inc dot com)
>>  * Andrew Bayer (abayer at cloudera dot com)
>>  * Konstantin Boudnik (cos at apache dot org)
>>  * Eli Collins (eli at apache dot org)
>>  * Travis Crawford (travis at twitter dot com)
>>  * Bruno Mahé (bruno at cloudera dot com)
>>  * Alan Gates (gates at apache dot org)
>>  * Patrick Hunt (phunt at apache dot org)
>>  * Peter Linnell (plinnell at cloudera dot com)
>>  * Steve Loughran (stevel at apache dot org)
>>  * Owen O'Malley (omalley at apache dot org)
>>  * James Page (James.page at canonical dot com)
>>  * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at cloudera dot com)
>>  * John Sichi (jvs at apache dot org)
>>  * Michael Stack (stack at apache dot org)
>>  * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)
>>  * Andrei Savu (asavu at apache dot org)
>>  * Edward J. Yoon (edwardyoon at apache dot org)

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: [VOTE] Accept Bigtop for incubation

Posted by Tom White <to...@apache.org>.
+1

Tom

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1  (non-binding)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1

Doug

Posted by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com>.
+1. (binding)

Cheers,
Nige

Sent from my iPhone4

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
+1 (non-binding)
Eric

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 from me (binding).

Good work guys.

Cheers,
Chris

> [...]

> = Initial Committers =
>
> * Alejandro Abdelnur (tucu at cloudera dot com)
> * Andre Arcilla (arcilla at yahoo-inc dot com)
> * Andrew Bayer (abayer at cloudera dot com)
> * Konstantin Boudnik (cos at apache dot org)
> * Eli Collins (eli at apache dot org)
> * Travis Crawford (travis at twitter dot com)
> * Bruno Mahé (bruno at cloudera dot com)
> * Alan Gates (gates at apache dot org)
> * Patrick Hunt (phunt at apache dot org)
> * Peter Linnell (plinnell at cloudera dot com)
> * Steve Loughran (stevel at apache dot org)
> * Owen O'Malley (omalley at apache dot org)
> * James Page (James.page at canonical dot com)
> * Roman Shaposhnik (rvs at cloudera dot com)
> * John Sichi (jvs at apache dot org)
> * Michael Stack (stack at apache dot org)
> * Tom White (tomwhite at apache dot org)
> * Andrei Savu (asavu at apache dot org)
> * Edward J. Yoon (edwardyoon at apache dot org)

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov