Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thangavel Sankaranarayanan <ts...@in.ibm.com> on 2008/10/31 08:38:25 UTC

Session timeout problem in tomcat

Hi All,

I need the sessiontimeout for 5 hours. I already set in by
webapps/myapp/web.xml file as

<session-config> <session-timeout>300</session-timeout> </session-config>

in tomcathome/conf/web.xml i can find the below config
<session-config> <session-timeout>30</session-timeout> </session-config>

Eventhough i have set  session timeout of 300 minutes ,session is expiring
after 30 mins(the default sessiontimeout for tomcat)

Please, let me know how i could achieve 5 hours for my sessiontimeout. I'll
will be thankful to them who responds me quickly as this is too urgent.

is the session-timeout value which we set is the inactive interval time in
minutes??

Regards,
Thangavel Sankaranarayanan

Re: Session timeout problem in tomcat

Posted by Kenneth Westelinck <ke...@gmail.com>.
I have noticed that tomcat does not honor the session timeout of your
webapp. It does, however, honor the timeout in tomcathome/conf/web.xml. I
have seen this behaviour in Tomcat 6.0.16. I am not sure if newer versions
honor the settings of the webapp's web.xml.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Thangavel Sankaranarayanan [mailto:tsankara@in.ibm.com]
> Subject: Session timeout problem in tomcat
>
> I need the sessiontimeout for 5 hours. I already set in by
> webapps/myapp/web.xml file as

Did you really put your web.xml file in that location?  If so, it will be ignored; the proper place is:
  webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/web.xml
(and case matters).

> Eventhough i have set  session timeout of 300 minutes
> ,session is expiring after 30 mins

Seems to work for me on 6.0.18; I configured a sample webapp with the following:

    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>480</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

and /manager/sessions?path=/sample shows the following:

    OK - Session information for application at context path /sample
    Default maximum session inactive interval 480 minutes
    <8 minutes:1 sessions

Further experimentation by setting the default to 3 minutes and the one for /sample to 10 showed sessions expiring exactly at the desired times.  LambdaProbe (if you can find a copy) is very useful for session monitoring.

> I'll will be thankful to them who responds me quickly as
> this is too urgent.

If it's so urgent, then perhaps you need to pay someone...

Telling us the version of Tomcat you're using wouldn't hurt, either.

 - Chuck