Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com> on 2023/05/11 17:08:49 UTC

Best Practice to Upgrade Apache Tomcat from 9.0.56 to 9.0.74

I have NOT been able to locate clear HOW TO steps for this.

I am currently focused on MINOR upgrades.

I will commence a different thread when I raise the question for MAJOR
upgrades --- say from 9.x to 10.x  -- or 9.x to 11.x

IF someone can point me to a great resource...
That would be tremendously helpful and truly appreciated.

--- Meltron
--
==============================
Blessed Regards,

Meltron Kendrick
Sr. Systems Engineer
Linux * Windows * Cloud Computing * Security

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/meltronkendrick

Mobile: (512) 233-9176
Email: meltronkendrick@gmail.com

Re: Best Practice to Upgrade Apache Tomcat from 9.0.56 to 9.0.74

Posted by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com>.
I am grateful for everyone replying!

Thank you!

I will reply to each of your questions...
AND
I will look into the various answers.

==============================

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
André,

Posted by Evan Rempel <er...@uvic.ca>.
We make official install packages out of each release and then use the
OS package management to do an "official" installation upgrade. This
allows for rollback/downgrade in the event of an issue and allows us to
easily repeat this on the 120+ tomcat servers that we run.

Evan.

Posted by Darryl Baker <da...@northwestern.edu>.

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.

Posted by km...@gmail.com.

Posted by Andr? van der Lugt <av...@outlook.com>.
Hi Meltron,

Generally speaking, if you prepare your deployment according to RUNNING.txt (see Tomcat distribution) sub-section "Advanced Configuration - Multiple Tomcat Instances", the patch update can be fairly painless - all it takes is replacing CATALINA_HOME/bin and CATALINA_HOME/lib with the contents of the Tomcat update. And consulting the migration guide for potential breaking changes. Works for me!

Good luck,
Andre

RE: Best Practice to Upgrade Apache Tomcat from 9.0.56 to 9.0.74

Posted by jo...@wellsfargo.com.INVALID.
How are you configured? Is your CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE Identical, or do you have the binaries separated from the configuration (Different CATALINA_BASE directory)?

Thanks,

Posted by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Points noted.  Thank you good sir.

I will try the weird path -- just to see if it solves the problem.  I am
investigating how it became like this.  I inherited this task.

Overall I absolutely concur with going with the an Official Tomcat release.

I want to bring over any / all customized configuration files.

Great share!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
This might be helpful:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/17/docs/specs/man/jar.html

-Terence Bandoian

Posted by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Chuck!

==============================

Posted by Chuck Caldarale <n8...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Meltron Kendrick <me...@gmail.com>.
I am trying to get these fields to UPDATE properly...

ESPECIALLY THESE 3 -------
(but all of them would be nice)

Server version:  Secure Web Server
Server built: Jan 01 2000 00:00:00 UTC
Server number: 1.0.0.0

*sudo -u tomcat /opt/tomcat/bin/version.sh*

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /
Using CLASSPATH:
/opt/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Using CATALINA_PID:    /opt/tomcat/tomcat.pid
Server version: Secure Web server
Server built:   Jan 01 2000 00:00:00 UTC
Server number:  1.0.0.0
OS Name:        Linux
OS Version:     3.10.0-1160.88.1.el7.x86_64
Architecture:   amd64
JVM Version:    1.8.0_371-b25
JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation

THIS WAS MY METHOD PRIOR TO ME SENDING THIS QUERY TO SOLICIT HELP IN
UPGRADING OR MIGRATING -------

clear
ls -Shaltr /tmp/patching
cat /opt/tomcat/RELEASE-NOTES | grep "Apache Tomcat Version"; java
-version; systemctl status tomcat -l; sudo -u tomcat
/opt/tomcat/bin/version.sh; w

systemctl stop tomcat -l
systemctl status tomcat -l

cd /tmp/patching/