Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de> on 2006/10/07 06:43:09 UTC

Getting started with archiva

Hi,

I wanted to take a look at archiva for some time now, finally I found
the time to do so. I did a fresh svn checkout and issued "mvn compile"
from the commandline - no success. I had to define the codehaus snapshot
repo and the apache plugin snapshot repo in my settings.xml in order to
get archiva built. Shouldn't these two repositories be listed in
archiva's toplevel pom to avoid these annoyances for normal users?

Now I'm trying to start archiva as per "Getting Started" from the
generated site. I have unpacked the plexus package, started the
bin/plexus.sh and get the following error when I access the front page:

WARNUNG: /:
Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK

I have taken a brief look at the plexus.sh and verified that the
variable TOOLS_JAR is setup correctly. Now I'm stuck.

-dirk

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Re: Getting started with archiva ... still

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
>>> Now I'm trying to start archiva as per "Getting Started" from the
>>> generated site. I have unpacked the plexus package, started the
>>> bin/plexus.sh and get the following error when I access the front page:
>>>
>>> WARNUNG: /:
>>> Unable to find a javac compiler;
>>> com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
>>> Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
>>>
>>> I have taken a brief look at the plexus.sh and verified that the
>>> variable TOOLS_JAR is setup correctly. Now I'm stuck.
>>
>> How would I proceed from here? What do I have to to in order to make
>> plexus/archiva find my tools.jar?
>
> You need to add tools.jar in the classpath in plexus.sh.
> File an issue about it and we'll add it later in plexus.sh generation

Indeed, if I patch plexus.sh to have tools.jar on the classpath that's
plassed to the java command everything works as expected.

See http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-209

-dirk

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Dirk Olmes a écrit :
> Dirk Olmes wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> [... first part deleted to focus on my main stumbling point ...]
>
>> Now I'm trying to start archiva as per "Getting Started" from the
>> generated site. I have unpacked the plexus package, started the
>> bin/plexus.sh and get the following error when I access the front page:
>>
>> WARNUNG: /:
>> Unable to find a javac compiler;
>> com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
>> Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
>>
>> I have taken a brief look at the plexus.sh and verified that the
>> variable TOOLS_JAR is setup correctly. Now I'm stuck.
>
> How would I proceed from here? What do I have to to in order to make
> plexus/archiva find my tools.jar?

You need to add tools.jar in the classpath in plexus.sh.
File an issue about it and we'll add it later in plexus.sh generation

Emmanuel

RE: Getting started with archiva ... still

Posted by "Mohni, Daniel" <da...@ch.unisys.com>.
Hi Dirk

looking at the plexus.sh I found a source of problem...

<snip>
if [ -z "$JAVA_HOME" ] ; then
  if [ -e /etc/gentoo-release ] ; then
    JAVA_HOME=`java-config --jre-home`
  fi
fi
</snip>

as I only have a windows machine I can not check that part but
you defenitly need JAVA_HOME to be set to the JDK and not the JRE.

The JRE doesn't have the tools.jar in windows...

<snip>
if [ -z "$JAVACMD" ] ; then
  if [ -n "$JAVA_HOME"  ] ; then
    if [ -x "$JAVA_HOME/jre/sh/java" ] ; then
      # IBM's JDK on AIX uses strange locations for the executables
      JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/jre/sh/java"
    else
      JAVACMD="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
    fi
  else
    JAVACMD=java
  fi
fi
</snip>

this may also be a problem depending on the java.sh used
-> maybe '$JAVA_HOME/jre/sh/java' is setting another classpath
   as '$JAVA_HOME/jre/sh/java'

HtH

Daniel

Re: Getting started with archiva ... still

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
Dirk Olmes wrote:
> Hi,

[... first part deleted to focus on my main stumbling point ...]

> Now I'm trying to start archiva as per "Getting Started" from the
> generated site. I have unpacked the plexus package, started the
> bin/plexus.sh and get the following error when I access the front page:
>
> WARNUNG: /:
> Unable to find a javac compiler;
> com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
> Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK
>
> I have taken a brief look at the plexus.sh and verified that the
> variable TOOLS_JAR is setup correctly. Now I'm stuck.

How would I proceed from here? What do I have to to in order to make
plexus/archiva find my tools.jar?

-dirk

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.